Easy, Quick, Cheap, Mess free Preservation Method for Inverts

Mckrizzal

Arachnopeon
There seems to be a lot of talk and questions about preservation methods for arachnids. I'm going to share my method that was explained to me by a taxidermists. No need for scooping out guts, or cotton balls, glueing the abdomen shut, or jars of alcohol that aren't very displayable. This method is quick, clean, and cheap. Just follow these steps...

1. Freeze the specimen until you're ready to preserve it.

2. You're going to need a large container with an airtight or tight lid ( I use a glass mason jar from a craft store)

3. Place the specimen inside the jar/container

4. Completely submerge the specimen in de-natured alcohol. De-natured alcohol can be found in stores like Home Depot or Lowe's for less than $20. Don't fill the entire container. Just make sure whatever you're preserving is completely covered with the alcohol

5. Place the lid on the container so the alcohol won't evaporate.

6. Let the specimen soak for at least a week undisturbed. The bigger the specimen the longer you can soak it to be sure. (My MM T stirmi took 11 days)

** I'm not exactly sure of the chemical reaction that happens, but the alcohol will basically turn all the organs and insides into "leather"**

7. After a week remove the specimen from the jar, and sun dry it (dry outside in sun) It's during this process that you may "pose" or pin the specimen how you'd like it.

8. Grab a shadow box from a craft store for $8-$16, and frame your specimen.

ALL DONE!!!!

This preservation will last a minimum of 10 yrs. After that (or if you notice signs of decay or rot) just resoak the specimen and frame it again. FB_IMG_1538384537870.jpg FB_IMG_1538384554806.jpg

I hope this helps anyone looking to preserve their tarantula, scorpion, etc. Pictured is an example of my preserved Pamphobeteus antinous I did 4 years ago. Still going strong! There's also a pic of my MM stirmi I didn't soak long enough the first time. You can see fluid leaking out from underneath it. Once I re soaked it (an extra day or two) it was fine. Still going strong today! Feel free to message me or comment below if you have any questions. I've been told this method works on anything up to the size of a squirrel.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
4. Completely submerge the specimen in de-natured alcohol. De-natured alcohol can be found in stores like Home Depot or Lowe's for less than $20. Don't fill the entire container. Just make sure whatever you're preserving is completely covered with the alcohol

5. Place the lid on the container so the alcohol won't evaporate.

6. Let the specimen soak for at least a week undisturbed. The bigger the specimen the longer you can soak it to be sure. (My MM T stirmi took 11 days)

** I'm not exactly sure of the chemical reaction that happens, but the alcohol will basically turn all the organs and insides into "leather"**
Denatured alcohol is ethanol with additives to make it undrinkable and can also be found at drug stores or the pharmacy department at the grocery store for about $1 USD for a pint. This type of alcohol is labeled as ethyl alcohol but a quick read of the ingredients shows it is denatured with acetone, isopropyl, and other nasty stuff. Sometimes denatured ethyl alcohol is hard to find, but isopropanol or isopropyl labeled as "rubbing alcohol" is much more regularly available. I bet the denatured alcohol at hardware stores is actually isopropanol.

Alcohol is a desiccant, so that chemical reaction that is taking place is the alcohol replacing the water in the tissues. I don't see how just a week for your average sized tarantula is enough for it to become completely dehydrated. When I preserve tarantulas in alcohol, the alcohol in the jars usually turns brown and I know when it has become completely dehydrated when it stays clear after the dirty alcohol is replaced. One also has to keep in mind that dehydrating colorful tarantulas for any length of time in alcohol will cause it to go brown and black. So this method of preservation for display purposes may not be the best option.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
One also has to keep in mind that dehydrating colorful tarantulas for any length of time in alcohol will cause it to go brown and black. So this method of preservation for display purposes may not be the best option.
Is there any preservation method you would recommend in which the color would not degrade that much?

Mckrizzal

Arachnopeon
Is there any preservation method you would recommend in which the color would not degrade that much?
My method is good for 10 years. I have yet to witness any color loss. Ask me in 4 more years lol. Not to mention I've only preserved a Pamphobeteus female and a Theraphosa male...not very colorful species. I preserved them for their size not there potential to lose their brown or black coloring.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The only method I know of to preserve color is the whole remove the guts and dry out the spider method. There isn't a fluid one can use that will preserve the colors.

Mckrizzal

Arachnopeon
The only method I know of to preserve color is the whole remove the guts and dry out the spider method. There isn't a fluid one can use that will preserve the colors.
Now why is that? I don't understand how the insides preserve color? How much color loss are we even talking? If I preserve a gbb (for example), are you saying color fades a little bit or that the gbb would come out brown and grey or something?? That's interesting for sure!