Eastern Tiger Swallowtail and Question mark caterpillars

spyderlady

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can anybody tell me where I can look for caterpillars of the tiger swallowtail? I have been dying to raise this species. That and question marks. I have only reared p. interrogationis once and I would like to rear more. If somebody could help, that would be great!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know your location but I've only ever seen them on Liriodendron tulipifera here. They supposedly also use ashes and Xanthoxyllum. Good luck with your search but unless you're at a southerly latitude, you'll prob have to wait til next season- even then it may be to late now. :)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Spyderlady, Near Dallas. Okay. I may be wrong but there's probably a good amount of Xanthoxyllum- prickly ash- aka- toothache tree near there. It's also a host plant for giant swallowtail and sickle-winged skipper. I'm guessing there is green ash also. This lep ain't too choosy and there are other host plants as well. G/l. :) Terry

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm seeing a lot of adults around here but I haven't stopped to look for the caterpillars. By the way, I never could find any of the previous caterpillars you were looking for.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am closer to Denton than Dallas, have seen PLENTY of both adults and the occasional 'pillar. Early in the summer they're easy-ish to find.