Eastern Kansas

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just some pics from a short trip over to Perry Lake in eastern Kansas a little over three weeks ago. The animals were found by KUJordan and myself (mostly Jordan because, apparently, I'm blind :D).

Inverts
Latrodectus sp. with spiderlings

Dolomedes triton

Micrathena gracilis

Robberfly with lunch

Nicrophorus americana

Also found were a Narceus americana, a Tenodera aridifolia sinensis, and many, many wasps but I either don't have pics of them or the pics turned out badly. The wasps don't deserve to have their pictures taken though (unless, of course, they're being eaten by something {D).

Herps in the next post.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Herps
Rana catesbeiana

Hyla versicolor, skinny juvenile

Thamnophis sirtalis ssp. (parietalis?)

Pantherophis (Elaphe) obsoletus

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Dolomedes triton is my favorite. :)

Can hardly wait to see some from Arizona!

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for looking. Glad you liked the pics. :)

Sheri said:
The Dolomedes triton is my favorite. :)
That was also one of my favorite finds. Jordan flipped her at the edge of a small pond and she was nice enough to stay still long enough for us to get quite a few pics.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome finds :)

Looks like it was an extremely productive outing.

Question.

Do you guys take pictures etc. or do you record the species account as well?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arietans said:
Awesome finds :)

Looks like it was an extremely productive outing.

Question.

Do you guys take pictures etc. or do you record the species account as well?
Thanks. Yes, it was a pretty good day.

I usually just take pictures since I never seem to find anything very uncommon. If I were to find something that's not so common I would probably record more info.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you ever seen something unusual worth recording?

Example: We were on the south side of Lake Tanganyika and saw a Puff Adder eat a fish, yet it is in no dietary record of a Puff Adder (at least not one I've seen).

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arietans said:
Have you ever seen something unusual worth recording?

Example: We were on the south side of Lake Tanganyika and saw a Puff Adder eat a fish, yet it is in no dietary record of a Puff Adder (at least not one I've seen).
Wow! That's a pretty cool observation.

I've never seen anything myself that would be considered unusual. I'm still pretty new to the herping thing. About the most unusual thing I've seen is a scorpion (Centruroides vittatus) eating a centipede (Lithobius sp.) but that's pretty common I guess. It was cool to see though.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never seen anything myself that would be considered unusual. I'm still pretty new to the herping thing. About the most unusual thing I've seen is a scorpion (Centruroides vittatus) eating a centipede (Lithobius sp.) but that's pretty common I guess. It was cool to see though.

You will. :), just don't stop.

You think you know everything about a certain species, and then one day it just surprises you.