EasiWorms for Slings?

ForestCryptid

Arachnopeon
Hey, so, I'm going to be getting my first 2 tarantula slings next week and I'm very excited! I've never had tarantulas before, but I've been doing a lot of research and have been getting everything ready for them. However, because they're still small, I'll either need to cut up mealworms or get them pinhead roaches, but I was wondering, has anyone used EasiWorms for their slings? Would something like that work?

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I hope you are planning on using condiment cups or something identical to them to start out with if they are small slings. I have never heard of an easiworm so I cannot comment about them. I use large superworms, crush head and cut off 1 ring of the superworm for a sling. Mealworms are also pretty popular too.

Attachments

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Never heard of it but I looked it up. You have to remember Ts get almost all their water from prey. If they are freeze dried (these aren’t I believe) or even just a little dehydrated from how they are packaged it might not be ideal.small live meal worms are cheap/easy enough I would just stick with that.

just about all slings will scavenge so using something that is alive or recently killed ensured they are getting plenty of moisture from it

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I had no idea what Easiworms were, and after a quick search, it appears as if they are frozen (i.e. prekilled) mealworms. I personally say that, no, you should not feed prey that isn't moving at all. You're going to have a hell of a time trying to get them to eat most of the time.

Just get micro mealworms. You can buy them by the thousand on eBay or Amazon and then simply keep them in the fridge. Be certain to always crush the head before feeding, as they can easily kill a tarantula under the right circumstances.

ForestCryptid

Arachnopeon
I hope you are planning on using condiment cups or something identical to them to start out with if they are small slings. I have never heard of an easiworm so I cannot comment about them. I use large superworms, crush head and cut off 1 ring of the superworm for a sling. Mealworms are also pretty popular too.
Yes! I'm getting them from a friend and they're sending some deli cups with them.

Never heard of it but I looked it up. You have to remember Ts get almost all their water from prey. If they are freeze dried (these aren’t I believe) or even just a little dehydrated from how they are packaged it might not be ideal.small live meal worms are cheap/easy enough I would just stick with that.

just about all slings will scavenge so issuing something that is alive or recently killed ensured they are getting plenty of moisture from it
Yeah, the product description says they're no freeze dried and are moist so I'm tempted to try it out

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Yeah, the product description says they're no freeze dried and are moist so I'm tempted to try it out
Why would you want to use those over superworms or mealworms ? Especially with your very first 2 tarantulas.

ForestCryptid

Arachnopeon
Why would you want to use those over superworms or mealworms ?
I mean, they are mealworms, just prekilled. And mostly just so I wouldn't have to cut them up while they're alive, although, if that's better for them then I'll do that

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I mean, they are mealworms, just prekilled. And mostly just so I wouldn't have to cut them up while they're alive, although, if that's better for them then I'll do that
Right but they are worms and moisture/air is the enemy of freshness so with out a doubt they don’t have the same moisture content. They are also more expensive and at best not better than the live ones.
Not trying to be smart but if killing mealworms or other feeder insects really bothers you it’s going to be tough raising Tarantulas

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
Mealworms are very easy to breed yourself even as a beginner with a little bit of research. I find the hatchlings are perfect size as feeder for very small slings.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Just buy live extra small mealworms off ebay or amazon. You can feed them whole and don't have to cut them because they are very tiny and perfect for slings. Though you should crush the heads on anything you feed your slings.

ForestCryptid

Arachnopeon
Right but they are worms and moisture/air is the enemy of freshness so with out a doubt they don’t have the same moisture content. They are also more expensive and at best not better than the live ones.
Not trying to be smart but if killing mealworms or other feeder insects really bothers you it’s going to be tough raising Tarantulas
That's true.. hmm. And no, I understand! I just wanted to see if it's something that could work is all cause I hadn't heard of it before

Just buy live extra small mealworms off ebay or amazon. You can feed them whole and don't have to cut them because they are very tiny and perfect for slings. Though you should crush the heads on anything you feed your slings.
Oh, I didn't know extra small mealworms were a thing?? I'm definitely going to look at those!

ForestCryptid

Arachnopeon
Ok, so it looks like I'll be getting my babies fresh mealworms! Thank you everyone for the advice :D