easiest tarantula to breed?

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have heard that Pterinochilus murinus is the easiest to breed.any one think that is wrong?i have tried Grammostola aureostriata and Grammostola rosea but with no luck.:D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P.murinus is fairly easy to breed. So are G. Rosea. But sac production is a bit different. P. murinus would be the easier of the two I think when it comes to actually getting a sac and slings.

Another easy species to start with is Avics. There is a couple advantages to that, main one being they have smaller clutches so for the new breeder its not overwelming when you do have success. Plus the breeding is straight forward. You can even co habit the male and the female with a fairly low chance of the female eating the male, (well at least till she gets hers if you know what I mean :D )

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have personally never had a sac over 70....... I am sure someone out there may have. But me myself only around 70.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree. P. murinus is, certainly, a very easy species to breed.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P murinus is supposed to be one of the easiest but my attempt last year was a bit disappointing. I had a grand total of 3 slings!:rolleyes:
I am sure my attempt was probably the more of an exception than the norm but that just goes to show that even though it is supposed to be "easy" doesnt mean you cant fail LOL
I am probably cursing myself by saying this but I have always had real good success with Aphonopelma hentzi. The only thing is, they will be able to make a sac 1 year but the next year they will molt so no need in breeding them but every other year.
Yeah and there will be a "few" spiderlings LOL

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
talkenlate04 thanks.i have 10 Pterinochilus murinus not mature yet.but maybe next year.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P murinus is supposed to be one of the easiest but my attempt last year was a bit disappointing. I had a grand total of 3 slings!:rolleyes:
I am sure my attempt was probably the more of an exception than the norm but that just goes to show that even though it is supposed to be "easy" doesnt mean you cant fail LOL
I am probably cursing myself by saying this but I have always had real good success with Aphonopelma hentzi. The only thing is, they will be able to make a sac 1 year but the next year they will molt so no need in breeding them but every other year.
Oh Dang those are hentzi slings? How many were there?

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow that is great .

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
talkenlate04 thanks.i have 10 Pterinochilus murinus not mature yet.but maybe next year.
10 wow, I have two, and I think they might both be males. I am not sure yet on one, they are only 2.5" or so.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope never tried them. The one girl I had that was confirmed female at 3" I sold her off, she was to satanic. I mean dont get me wrong in my book thats a good thing, but I have to much going on with breeding and sacs that I just felt bad for not paying enough attention to her. So she went to a good home.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've successfully bred P. murinus twice. The first clutch was 122 slings, the second was 212.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i will try Avicularia avicularia to breed next.my goal is to breed Citharischius crawshayi and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have heard that Pterinochilus murinus is the easiest to breed.any one think that is wrong?i have tried Grammostola aureostriata and Grammostola rosea but with no luck.:D

How long ago did you breed them? Why do you think you have failed?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i will try Avicularia avicularia to breed next.my goal is to breed Citharischius crawshayi and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.
Citharischius crawshayi is one of the hardest species to breed. It'll be awhile before you start breeding these. I wish you the best of luck though.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long ago did you breed them? Why do you think you have failed?
i have two female roseas .both made a sack one was eaten and the other was infiertile.the g. aureostriata never made a sack.mating went good on all.i had the female g.rosea mate with the male .you could see the venom dripping off of his legs onto her.:eek:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have two female roseas .both made a sack one was eaten and the other was infiertile.the g. aureostriata never made a sack.mating went good on all.i had the female g.rosea mate with the male .you could see the venom dripping off of his legs onto her.:eek:
Oh wow, thats just bad luck. How often did you sneak a peak at the female while she was holding the sac? Maybe they just weren't ready to be mothers.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh wow, thats just bad luck. How often did you sneak a peak at the female while she was holding the sac? Maybe they just weren't ready to be mothers.
every day i would check on them.i just look through the the the cage.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh Dang those are hentzi slings? How many were there?
haha I didnt even bother trying to count all of those. That picture was taken after I sold/give away a bunch and the cup was still full! I guesstimate 500-800? This species is native to where I live so I always release most slings. Its my way of replacing the female I caught a few years ago and of course when I collect wandering males in the Fall. The mother of those slings was mated last Fall and I have had her cooling off all Winter. I would say I could get another egg sac really soon if I would bring her inside to warm up. I might do that in the next few days