Easiest feeders to breed

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I have three female and two male hissers they seem content to hangout eat and chill now baby's so is it easter to breed dubias I need something that will do well in temps between 70 and 80 degreed prefer something that doesn't stink like crickets I have started a mealworm colony but as of yesterday all my worms are now beetles and I'm waiting for them to get going

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Mealworms are the easiest. Just feed them and put them in the fridge when they have reached the size you want.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dubia roaches are easy as well, and for large specimens they are a good feeder to use especially after a molt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Dubias. They breed like roaches.

Hisses are terrible feeders simply because they day forever and a day to go from hatching to producing an ootheca themselves.

Ran

Arachnoknight
I am currently raising 3 different species of roaches and dubias and lobster roaches breed the fastest.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Well I got the hissers because I always wanted some and I thought hay if they breed I can use them for feeders but now I'm looking to save the money I spend on feeders by raising my own just trying to figure what will work out beat for what I need

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well I got the hissers because I always wanted some and I thought hay if they breed I can use them for feeders but now I'm looking to save the money I spend on feeders by raising my own just trying to figure what will work out beat for what I need
It will work of you're in it for the long haul, just don't expect to be using that colony any time soon.

that's a double edged sword....as they can easily infest your house.
Best advice so far. The three characteristics of good feeders are: fast maturation, short gestation, inability to infest. Things like ease of care and smell are personal preferences.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Well I've been leaning towards dubias and like I said I have the mealworms started I just have to get them producing

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Depending on how many Ts you have to feed them all of these options can balloon out of control. I have reptiles eating my Dubias as well as a lot of Ts and I still have to cut the heat off to my breeding bin to slow down the production. Lots of these feeders are good at lasting a long time so you might still be better off buying feeders rather then breeding your own.

Last edited:

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Cool might have to look in to that just tired of the large die off with crickets

louise f

Arachnoangel
Meal worms are easy and fast.. Dubias take forever, dead head roaches are faster than dubias, to make new babies. :)

I keep all three of them

Darkwing

Arachnopeon
Cool might have to look in to that just tired of the large die off with crickets
I keep a variety of feeders for my 2 reptiles and 30 Ts,
A very variety of sizes of Dubia (which require very little maintenance..

Kingworms(easy), mealworms(easy), and horned worms(difficult)

I'd say for you circumstances, just learn to breed the worms as efficiently as possible and they will come around soon!

Jerry

Arachnobaron
What are kingworms
I keep a variety of feeders for my 2 reptiles and 30 Ts,
A very variety of sizes of Dubia (which require very little maintenance..

Kingworms(easy), mealworms(easy), and horned worms(difficult)

I'd say for you circumstances, just learn to breed the worms as efficiently as possible and they will come around soon!

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rather then breading your own.
You made me think of roaches rolled in egg yolk and breaded, ready for the deep fat frier.. Ugh why

Dubais are great feeders and breeders but they like it hot , I try to keep mine close to the bulb at 90-100 and they reproduce like mad. There are actually thousands of different species of roaches and only a small percentage are pest species. Check out roachcrossing it's an amazing database of roach species with a wealth of information about pet and feeder species ! Personally I was amazed by the variety of stuff out there people keep as pets .

Jerry

Arachnobaron
You made me think of roaches rolled in egg yolk and breaded, ready for the deep fat frier.. Ugh why

Dubais are great feeders and breeders but they like it hot , I try to keep mine close to the bulb at 90-100 and they reproduce like mad. There are actually thousands of different species of roaches and only a small percentage are pest species. Check out roachcrossing it's an amazing database of roach species with a wealth of information about pet and feeder species ! Personally I was amazed by the variety of stuff out there people keep as pets .
thanks I'll have to check that out and roaches aren't to bad not a fan of grass hoppers thou they have a bad after taste

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Depending on how many Ts you have to feed them all of these options can balloon out of control. I have reptiles eating my Dubias as well as a lot of Ts and I still have to cut the heat off to my breeding bin to slow down the production. Lots of these feeders are good at lasting a long time so you might still be better off buying feeders rather then breeding your own.

Can you breed dubias freeze then defrost as needed like with mammal feeders?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Dubai's are definitely your best bet. Easy to maintain and control reproduction (via heat) the fresh offspring are small enough for just about the smallest slings. Not to mention they are nature's garbage disposal, you could feed them just about anything, I was eating an apple while doing some maintenance in my t room and just thought "ehh why not?" And placed it in the dubia collony and now tonight there is next to nothing left.

All this being said, I don't like Dubai's as a feeder, especially for arboreals. Dubai's have too much of a tendency to freeze and be missed by the tarantula or go straight down and hide under whatever they can wedge their body into. So feeding anything but mature males to my arboreals has been a straight nightmare.