Easiest feeders to breed

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
What do you mean? This pre made dry and flavorless variety is not Italian enough. Lol. you mean to tell me that putting this blasphemous pasta into a bag with a stereotypical Italian woman plastered on the front does not make it authentic?
Well, fresh pasta isn't the best pasta.
Even the best Italian chefs use Barilla, that's a dry and in a plastic bag.
You guys just... overcook it.
Pasta al dente is THE pasta.
And please.... DON'T. PUT. KETCHUP. ON. YOUR. PASTA.
Everytime you do that, an Italian dies.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Haha we'll we don't eat the best pasta but my wife and I are very stricked about making a home mad tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes garlic and herbs no ketchup or canned sauces here

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Idk who you know who does this or where you got the idea it's a thing. "Ketchup on pasta" must be something I don't know. As far as barilla being the only thing pro chefs use, I find that a bit laughable honestly. Your basically saying every decent Italian chef uses one brand only. But ok. I'm out of this thread now though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've literally never heard of people putting ketchup on pasta, and I've lived all over this country. I will say though, pasta al dente is gross. No thank you.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I've literally never heard of people putting ketchup on pasta, and I've lived all over this country. I will say though, pasta al dente is gross. No thank you.
This is the only part of this conversation I read. But I ALWAYS cook my pasta al dente. Not crunchy, just a little firm. Perfect! Also, what nut puts ketchup on pasta? I've never heard of that.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Ketchup goes on French fries.
Although in Europe they prefer the mayonnaise. Ketchup packets were not free in Munich McDonald's but the mayonnaise flows free.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Although in Europe they prefer the mayonnaise. Ketchup packets were not free in Munich McDonald's but the mayonnaise flows free.
Mix ketchup and mayo, 50-50. Nectar of the gods.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Bro they called that fry sauce up in Idaho. And yes it is quite heavenly!!!!!
I came back to California and went to a sonic(quite popular in Idaho and has their own branded fry sauce cups)
And the managers didn't have a clue what I was asking for.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Eeww ketchup on pasta? Well, I put ketchup in my Mac and cheese, but that's a personal preference and Mac and cheese isn't pasta in my books. Tortellini, spaghetti bolognese, Fettuccini..... that's pasta!

Agreed!! If you add enough black pepper to it too you get a nice kick with it too. Yum yum. ;)

And I didn't quote the al dente pasta being nasty comment but I don't understand. You like your pasta mushy?? :?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Also, I just realised how far off topic this thread got. My apologies OP. I will try to add to THAT topic now instead.

IMO, the easiest feeders to breed would have to be mealworms. Get a hundred or so, stick them in a contaimer with some oats and cornmeal, put them somewhere and let them alone for a month or two. Just have to put a piece of carrot in it every couple of days for the water they need and voilà. You will soon have darkling beetles, which will lay eggs and you will quickly have a container full of mealworms in every life stage.

The next easiest is the Blaptica dubia cockroach. You can find dozens of videos on YouTube on how to set up a roach bin. :)

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You made me think of roaches rolled in egg yolk and breaded, ready for the deep fat frier.. Ugh why
I live in Wisconsin. If we can deep fry it it's a thing.

Where the heck did I put that ketchup bottle now.:D just kidding.

Whenever I get McD fries I ask for mayo in a cup, the stuff they squirt on the sandwiches. I don't know what kind it is but its so much better than the packets. Although the Burger King hash rounds dipped in whatever mayo packets they have is pretty good.

Ketchup, Mayo, a little soy sauce, a touch of liquid smoke, a splash of Louisiana style hot sauce (like franks but I buy the cheaper version) and some juice from pickled jalapenos and you have yourself some good dipping sauce. Every now and then I'll throw in some course ground horseradish mustard.

Now I'm hungry. Time to throw some tater tots into the pizza oven and overcook me some pasghetti.

to keep the post on topic though, my thoughts on feeders. Mealworms are easy and fairly prolific but harder to feed if your animals don't pounce on the immediately as they tend to burrow quickly. I use MWs for my slings that scavenge though. I just chop them to the appropriate size and drop them in the cup and go back the next day and remove the remains. I tried it with frozen crickets before and it was a mess. Freezing breaks down the cells in the food so they turn into mush when they thaw out. Its OK if the spider eats it but if they don't it is a real PITA to remove the leftovers.

Dubia are easy but most of my T's won't take them anymore for reasons I don't quite understand. They used to pounce on them as soon as I dropped them in but now they have lower feeding responses so the dubias tend to burrow or freeze and the T's don't go for them.

Crickets are a pain. They stink and don't live very long if you get adults. I still get the best feeding response from my T's with crickets though and I really wish they would go back to the roaches. If you need very tiny feeders though, like i need for my baby P. reddelli scorpions I think pinhead crickets can be the way to go. It is very easy to get pinheads, I just have a problem getting them through the first couple of molts. I lose about 90% of them. Of course flightless fruit flies also work for the very tiny babies

Trenor

Arachnoprince
How are there any left? :p

Overcooked pasta is a thing here. A lot of people do cook it right, though. I find it's like meats, a lot pf people over cook them.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
How are there any left? :p

Overcooked pasta is a thing here. A lot of people do cook it right, though. I find it's like meats, a lot pf people over cook them.
[Offtopic]
Yeah but... ok, quick tutorial.
If pasta says 10 mins cook it for 9.
1. Boil water, throw in salt (remember the 1,10,100 rule: 1 liter of water for 100g of pasta and 10g of salt.
2. As soon as the 9 mins passed you pull out the pasta and put it in a spaghetti drier.
3. Put it with the sauce you've been cooking.

Buon appetito!
[/offtopic]

I just bought mealworms. Let's see how it goes.
I'm pretty sure I won't buy crickets again.

I put the mealworms in a box full of oatmeal, with various pieces of carrots here and there. And put them in the fridge? Is everything right?

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Update: F-bomb.
I tried to feed a mw to my genic, didn't want to eat and now the worm is burrowed somewhere.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon

I put the mealworms in a box full of oatmeal, with various pieces of carrots here and there. And put them in the fridge? Is everything right?
If you want them to reproduce, you should keep them in at least room temperature. ;) no need for carrots if they're in the fridge either, they are dormant when cooled. If you want to keep them in the fridge that's fine but take them out once per week. put a carrot or potato piece in for them for about 24 hours, remove vegetable piece and put them back in the fridge. :) Don't use cardboard box. you will need to put them in a tupperware or glass container. no lid, or at least vented lid. They can eat cardboard.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
[Offtopic]
Yeah but... ok, quick tutorial.
If pasta says 10 mins cook it for 9.
1. Boil water, throw in salt (remember the 1,10,100 rule: 1 liter of water for 100g of pasta and 10g of salt.
2. As soon as the 9 mins passed you pull out the pasta and put it in a spaghetti drier.
3. Put it with the sauce you've been cooking.

Buon appetito!
[/offtopic]

You lost me when you started using metric.

I'm American. They did a terrible job of assimilating us into the rest of the world, didn't they?

Mealworms are better than crickets, just gotta crush the head first :D Although it sounds like you just learned that.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Don't use cardboard box. you will need to put them in a tupperware or glass container. no lid, or at least vented lid. They can eat cardboard.
I've got one of those little plastic square boxes used to sell crickets.
Thank you very much for your advice!