Earthworms???

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
So i went over to a friends house today who had run out of crickets. I was taking him some and he was feeding his T. a earthworm. Is this ok the guy who he bought the T from said it was.

Any thoughts on this one ...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have fed mine worms a few times in the past in a pinch. Long term might not be a great idea but every now and they will get you by.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they are ok supplements. if it is at all warm then some melt and you have to recage. and they stink ungodly when they melt

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I've heard of claims that earthworms can have nematodes. Not sure if that means a T will automatically get infested by them but if it does there is nothing you can do about it and it will eventually die.

Forgot to mention that I've tried it myself until I've heard the above. Nothing bad came of it but it surely isn't worth the risk until one knows more about it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they are ok supplements. if it is at all warm then some melt and you have to recage. and they stink ungodly when they melt
Just you describing that made me gag a bit. Yes they can smell worse then cat poo.

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
Ok but then how do u feed them to the T wont they just go below the soil quickly?

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
But by the time the spider wants anything to do with them usually the would crawl of and burrow experiance with mealworms anyways...

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most picky Ts won't accept them. My 5" rosea won't ahve anytyhing to do with them, while my 3.5" will eat anything that moves, including my fingers.

Clean up is messy afterwards. The risk of parasites is too great in my opinion.

If you're friend is out of crickets, and needs to feed his T, offer them a pea. Seriously, try it out sometimes. A green pea. Make sure it has no pesticides on it, and all that junk. Caned one's are best. Just put it in front of the T, and watch. It might take awhile, but 80% of Ts will accept it.

Good luck.

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
Lol i will have to try that well....
I tryed the worm thing giving a earthworm to each of my T.s

My 5 inch rosie took about 3 secs before it was out of its hide and grabbed it.

The A.seemani tooka bit before it ate it.

But my H.lividium wanted nothing to do with it lol. So 2 out of three aint bad but if there is a risk of parasites i wont be doing that again.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh hey... so are you digging those puppies out of the ground?

i bought a tub of night crawlers from a reptile store, purposefully bred as feeders. wild feeder stuff is like, yucky, for sure.

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
so if i buy nightcrawlers it should be ok and yes i dug them out of the ground. I had to check i wont do it again now though.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Woah a pea? Do the Ts actually get anything out of it or just TRY and eat it? What other veggies will they take?

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
When i bought my rosie the pet shop owner said it would eat fruit like banana's etc. I really dont think he was right!

Need less to say i bought some crickets and mealworms for my baby.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Well one thing they might get out of a pea for sure is water. But what else? Dunno and I don't think it's a good idea to try it with a diet of only peas. I don't think it's a long stretch of the imagination to think that they can digest greenery.

Ofcourse a colony feeder will have some undigested food in him, most often fruit, but maybe that's exactly the stuff a T poops out a while later? :?

Ophidio

Arachnopeon
i think the nightcrawlers available in pet stores come from the same sources as those in bait shops, which is usually from crop fields, so yes pesticides are often an issue. they are just re-packaged and over-priced in the pet stores to make them look like "official" feeders.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i'd never feed my T earthworms just because I don't wanna deal with a smelly mess if they don't finish it all.

tallguy

Arachnopeon
for worms just keep them for a few days in some moist grass or hay substrate til they void whatever they have been eating, less chance of parasites that way. Oh and keep them cool.