Earth worms in T enclosure?

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Just curious, is there any benefit, or negative effects of earth worms in a tarantulas enclosure?

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It would depend on the set up. A deep substrate made of compost and leaf litter which is kept pretty moist might provide a suitable habitat for the worms, which do make good feeders for the large South American burrowers. If you have a 40 breeder set up for a Theraphosa spp. you might give it a go. It might be interesting to actually see your animal hunt.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Are earth worms a suitable food source for T's or Emp scorpions? Not as a main source though obviously.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As long as they are free of pesticides, yes, absolutely. Bill from Theraphosa Breeding Project used to feed night crawlers to most of this South American species.

malhomme

Arachnopeon
Are earth worms a suitable food source for T's or Emp scorpions? Not as a main source though obviously.
I read somewhere that scientists have only twice observed Goliath Birdeaters feeding in the wild: in one intance it was a worm and in the other it was some obscure worm-like critter.

I wonder how true the "twice only" claim is but apparently they like them some worms!

jgod790

Arachnoknight
I read somewhere that scientists have only twice observed Goliath Birdeaters feeding in the wild: in one intance it was a worm and in the other it was some obscure worm-like critter.

I wonder how true the "twice only" claim is but apparently they like them some worms!
Go on youtube, and look up "Goliath Tarantula vs Snake"

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep worms (red wigglers) in all my enclosures. They do not get consumed, but will break down waste such as plant leaves and other detritus while cycling the soil.

They are best to use in planted enclosures when switching the substrate periodically is not the best option.

Hatr3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've read a scientific article saying that Megaphobema (if I'm not wrong) species were observed feeding on earth worms inside their burrows.