Earth worms as prey for Hysterocrates sp?/ larger Theraphosids

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hello I have a group of H. crassipes ( Cameroon locality) and I have heard that they will eat earth worms. I like to vary the diet of my Ts as much as possible and would like to give them a try.

With that said I have seen very few in depth discussions on the results of
feeding earth worms so I have a few questions.

1- Have any of you fed your Hysterocrates sp earth worms and if so did they seem to enjoy them as much as crickets or roaches_

2- How nutritious are they compared to roaches or crickets? i.e. Did you notice any significant weight gain etc..

3- Most importantly to me and what has caused me to not just run out and buy some worms and experiment on my own, is there any chance of poisoning my Ts because of possible pesticides or additives in the soil that they are raised in and feed on?

4- please post any negative experiences you have had feeding earth worms if there where any.

Also if you have fed Earth worms some what regularly to any Theraphosids please weigh in on the discussion.

Thanks

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive fed my H cf hercules earthworms a few times. well, nightcrawlers. fatty as superworms if not more.
they dont do good in temps in warm temps and i imagine theyd die in temps much more than 80.
i just used whatever ones i caught off my driveway after a rain.
good feeders overall.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I'm sure they're packed with protein and other good stuff. Though I wouldn't use anything but store bought.

cold blood

Staff member
Ive used them for many species....all seem to take them readily....pokies really dig them, at least mine do.

I will say that a whole earthworm is a formidible opponent....i always cut them in half....still a large meal.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Ive used them for many species....all seem to take them readily....pokies really dig them, at least mine do.

I will say that a whole earthworm is a formidible opponent....i always cut them in half....still a large meal.
I was already planning on getting a tub of nightcrawlers for my frog. Pokies can eat them too?? Oh lord.

cold blood

Staff member
I was already planning on getting a tub of nightcrawlers for my frog. Pokies can eat them too?? Oh lord.
Whats to stop any species from taking a worm....worms are like universal feeders for just about anything you can think of from bear and boar, to fish and reptiles to birds and just about everything in between.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Whats to stop any species from taking a worm....worms are like universal feeders for just about anything you can think of from bear and boar, to fish and reptiles to birds and just about everything in between.
I dont doubt this at all. The 'funny' rating was from the image of a big pretty pokie wrestling a big slimy worm. I plan to feed some to my pokies. Its not weird its just something i had never even considered. Worms for Ts that is

cold blood

Staff member
I dont doubt this at all. The 'funny' rating was from the image of a big pretty pokie wrestling a big slimy worm. I plan to feed some to my pokies. Its not weird its just something i had never even considered. Worms for Ts that is
Now I have holes drilled in my sterilite so i I can present the worms directly to the t...not sure how it would work to just drop them in.

Weird feeder, I got one...give a sling a small piece of chicken....never had a refusal....don't do it often, but I have done it enough to know its taken readily....

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Now I have holes drilled in my sterilite so i I can present the worms directly to the t...not sure how it would work to just drop them in.

Weird feeder, I got one...give a sling a small piece of chicken....never had a refusal....don't do it often, but I have done it enough to know its taken readily....
I've heard of using ground beef or turkey in this way. Not something ive tried though

14pokies

Arachnoprince

Did you buy them from a bait shop or Wal-Mart, or Does it not matter? I'm just afraid of what could be in the soil but I want to try them as feeders..

cold blood

Staff member
Did you buy them from a bait shop or Wal-Mart, or Does it not matter? I'm just afraid of what could be in the soil but I want to try them as feeders..
Leftovers from taking the nephew fishing...always end up with bonus earthworms and wax worms.