Earliest time to sex without looking at molt with microscope?

Maikeru

Arachnopeon
I understand it's possible to sex small slings from looking at intact molts with a microscope. How long would it take to sex with the naked eye generally? Until the tarantula is about half size?

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
It depends on: your eyesight, the species of tarantula.

I also wouldn't say you can sex SMALL slings with a microscope.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
From what I understand, it's possible to sex small slings using a microscope but it can be very difficult, since the underdeveloped sex organs of males and females at that size can look similar unless you know exactly what to look for and have a lot of experience. As for sexing with the naked eye, it does depend on the species, but for most tarantulas you can usually start ventral sexing around the 2-2.5in mark if you're experienced and have decent eyesight. Of course, the closer to maturity they are, the more accurate it's likely to be. They can change a lot between molts!

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
For me it's 3 to 4 inches but I am a little farsighted. I have sexed with a microscope around an inch but I always check out future molts to confirm. Some species have huge lady parts early on and she me dont

Maikeru

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies. I am assuming I have a male P. irminia because I bought it as a tiny sling for like 15 bucks.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Depends on the species but generally you can accurately vent or moult sex by eye from around 2" or so. I use a cheap 60x currency microscope to make life a little easier though