E. uatuman pairing

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just felt like sharing, since this is a relatively uncommon spider. I was lucky enough to get a male E. uatuman from @sdsnybny just days after I bought my female. He's a bit long in the tooth, so I didn't have high hopes for him. I tried pairing them a week ago, and he's a tapping fool. Very brave too, he had no qualms about going down into her burrow. They are shy breeders, so I left him in for about six hours. I only ended up taking him out because I believe she may have struck at him. He was on the opposite end of the enclosure clearly trying to get out.

Well, fast forward to last night. I put him in again at around 6PM, and once again he was tapping almost nonstop. Imagine my delight when I saw her tapping back. Fast forward to around 1AM, and he's next to her burrow cleaning himself. She was sitting atop her burrow right next to him, obviously not tapping.

I'm fairly convinced that he got a good insertion just based on both of their behavior. I'm going to keep him separate for a week or two, get him a good meal, and allow him to reload his palps. Then he's going back in with her for an indefinite cohab unless I see immediate aggression. Again, he's old, and my attempts at sending him off have proven fruitless because of it. He may as well get another insertion and serve as a decent meal.
(Note: If you've got a female and want him, PM me)

An interesting note on this species, for those curious. They have a very peculiar tapping ritual. The male alternates tapping his palps, almost like playing bongos. Meanwhile, his abdomen almost vibrates. The female tapping is a bit nerve-wrecking. It almost looks like a feeding response where they lunge forward, but she stays put rather than moving anywhere. She also rubbed the ground with her pedipalps. It was quite fun to watch their flirting, not a bad show.

The girl in question, hopefully now ready to be a mama

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Love this!!! Good luck. very similar to what was observed when he was cohabed for a week with my friends female. Hope you get a sac.

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
Glad to hear it went well!

Is it too early to call dibs on one :cigar:

Sounds like a good excuse to build a few more enclosures.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Glad to hear it went well!

Is it too early to call dibs on one :cigar:

Sounds like a good excuse to build a few more enclosures.
This is a dwarf burrowing species, too. You could try out making an enclosure that would accommodate deep burrowing :D

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Nice informative post. I look forward to breeding this species as well once I have the time. I was told they can double clutch BTW.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Found a video of th odd courtship. Skip to 2,40 to see her making the moves EulersK was talking about.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
ugh I have a nice mature female that I want to breed but she hasn't molted close to a year now (since I bought her)... I just want to know when she will molt so I can have a future plan to pair her up.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ephebopus is a great genus... hope this project works out!

Found a video of th odd courtship. Skip to 2,40 to see her making the moves EulersK was talking about.
Interesting. Kind of like little "hops."

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice informative post. I look forward to breeding this species as well once I have the time. I was told they can double clutch BTW.
I seem to remember the same thing..perhaps from Advan.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
After you pull the first sac, just feed her up well. They can even triple clutch(my girl did but ate the third one).

I also would not consider this species a dwarf, my girl was 5"+.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After you pull the first sac, just feed her up well. They can even triple clutch(my girl did but ate the third one).

Good call, I was wondering why it was called a dwarf too.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've seen so many reports of females maxing out at 4", I just assumed that the scattered reports of 5" were overblown.