E. truculentus Pairing Log

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ah, finally! By the good graces of @sdsnybny, I am now in possession of a MM E. truculentus and a second IM E. truculentus. I won't recount the details of the trade here - check out his review page if you want that.

I plan on pairing these two this coming Friday. The male was spotted loading his palps before shipment, so I just need to give him some time to settle in. The male isn't skittish at all, and my female is the definition of docile. Hopefully that's a good match.

Here is the proud male. He is absolutely dwarfed by the female, I'm quite taken back by the size delta. Hopefully he's a brave one. In the half hour that he's been in his new enclosure, he's done nothing but web his new hide.
IMG_1019.JPG

And here is his future mate. The red on her rump is far more prominent than what shows up in pictures.
IMG_1021.JPG

And here is the freebie IM E. truculentus. Yes, he gave me a freebie that essentially doubled his offer on the trade. If the above male doesn't perform or the unspeakable happens, then this guy will back him up. If the male above does his duty, then I'm going to try and slow this guy's growth down to attempt a pairing with my female. He is almost certainly one molt away from maturing, though, so he may end up going out to someone with another female. We'll see.
IMG_1018.JPG

I'll be updating on Friday with the news. I plan on filming this pairing, so here's to wishing for good luck.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Nice shots of the group really shows the variance of color in the right light. Most of the time truculentus has mostly green highlights but in the right light a gold iridescence comes out.
I'll be watching for results.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The red? Umm, what red? hah.

Great pics! I hope the pairing results in EWLs.
It's more of a tuft rather than a patch :D

I can't find a pairing log on this species, but judging from other Euathlus pairing logs, this seems like it'll be pretty easy. I can't imagine anything easier than that B. emilia pairing, though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Happy and angry, all at the same time.

Well, I did set up to film about two hours ago, and gave up for various reasons. I got some footage of him tapping... almost two hours of it, actually. She wasn't feeling it. Well, I was editing what video I had, only to hear a very loud tapping. Couldn't have been from him because of how loud it was, so it had to be her. I tried pairing them again. Without filming it. Here's about the only shot I got:
20160916_211612.jpg

I am more than certain she has what she needs. She was extremely receptive, and he was very aggressive. They held this position for 10 minutes of the total 24 minutes they were in the same enclosure. In fact, she ended up pushing him away and turned around. He went back to tapping, and I got him out. Greedy little guy. And let me tell you, he was as skittish as an N. incei after getting him away from her. He ended up a few feet from the enclosure by the time I got him. Here he is back in his enclosure, happy as a clam. I'm going to see if I can hunt down someone with a female and get him some more lovin'.
20160916_212528.jpg

I actually had to separate them early on. He happened to climb to the edge of the enclosure, and began tapping. She climbed up there, and they tried doing the act on the edge. I could see that it was going downhill, so I got her away.

Now, something interesting that I haven't seen in any video or in person. He did exhibit the typical tapping, but that was peppered with something I've only seen in true spiders. He would raise his first pair or two of legs high in the air, hold for a few seconds, and then slam the ground. Not a tap, a slap. He actually did this on her carapace a few times. I was sure she was going to take him down. I did get some great video of that slapping from the first attempt, I'm just not done editing the video. I'm going to be posting that in the final breeding report that I'll be writing sometime this weekend.

Big thanks to @sdsnybny, he raised a healthy male.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Happy and angry, all at the same time.

Well, I did set up to film about two hours ago, and gave up for various reasons. I got some footage of him tapping... almost two hours of it, actually. She wasn't feeling it. Well, I was editing what video I had, only to hear a very loud tapping. Couldn't have been from him because of how loud it was, so it had to be her. I tried pairing them again. Without filming it. Here's about the only shot I got:
View attachment 220589

I am more than certain she has what she needs. She was extremely receptive, and he was very aggressive. They held this position for 10 minutes of the total 24 minutes they were in the same enclosure. In fact, she ended up pushing him away and turned around. He went back to tapping, and I got him out. Greedy little guy. And let me tell you, he was as skittish as an N. incei after getting him away from her. He ended up a few feet from the enclosure by the time I got him. Here he is back in his enclosure, happy as a clam. I'm going to see if I can hunt down someone with a female and get him some more lovin'.
View attachment 220590

I actually had to separate them early on. He happened to climb to the edge of the enclosure, and began tapping. She climbed up there, and they tried doing the act on the edge. I could see that it was going downhill, so I got her away.

Now, something interesting that I haven't seen in any video or in person. He did exhibit the typical tapping, but that was peppered with something I've only seen in true spiders. He would raise his first pair or two of legs high in the air, hold for a few seconds, and then slam the ground. Not a tap, a slap. He actually did this on her carapace a few times. I was sure she was going to take him down. I did get some great video of that slapping from the first attempt, I'm just not done editing the video. I'm going to be posting that in the final breeding report that I'll be writing sometime this weekend.

Big thanks to @sdsnybny, he raised a healthy male.
Interesting behavior! Must've been an eager boy lol. Good luck with the mom!!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
YEAH!!!! glad he did his part. I have seen that raising front legs, slapping of the ground, and the females carapace in other videos. Good luck all things are looking very good.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, I went to create a breeding report... this is ridiculous. If I'm doing this correctly, it's entirely too much work. I'll get it done later.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/breeding-reports.287245/

In the meantime, here is that video I promised. It's probably pretty low resolution right now because it was just uploaded - give it a day or two and it'll be back up to 1080p.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Opaque? Gross, never. This is what I do:
Lucky! you actually have a nice place to work. Not a kitchen table with cat food bowls scattered on it.
I love to smell cat food when building enclosures, it's the best (sarcasm through the roof)

didn't mean to hijack this thread btw

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Well, I went to create a breeding report... this is ridiculous. If I'm doing this correctly, it's entirely too much work. I'll get it done later.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/breeding-reports.287245/

In the meantime, here is that video I promised. It's probably pretty low resolution right now because it was just uploaded - give it a day or two and it'll be back up to 1080p.
Jeez. Had she been out partying and had a headache!o_O
...says to self... I am learing sooo much about mating from T Jedi masters...:wideyed:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Well it wasn't supposed to matter because I was going to make a breeding log, but that's nearly useless with this new forum setup.
Its set up like the new review system but you don't have to "create the item" just PM a mod and they will make it so you can do the report part.
http://arachnoboards.com/forums/online-dealer-reviews.8/

The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This girl dragging booty yet?? :)
Not yet, but she's eating like a beast. She's taken three adult male dubias this week alone... anyone who's kept Euathlus knows that this is not normal. She's clearly gearing up for something.

In other news, my P. striata and B. emilia have laid a thin layer of web over their entire enclosures. They're either getting ready for a molt or a sac!