E. Truculentus opinions

Andy00

Arachnoknight
I recently went to an exotic pet store somewhat near me and it turns out they had a good amount of T's! They had some OW tarantulas and most were adult size, they also had some N. Chromatus and b smithis which I thought were too expensive. Then I saw they had an $80 p scrofa and a $60 euathlus truculentus. I was pretty interested in the e truculentus because I've been hearing that euathlus is a great genus and they are usually very handleable and sweet. This specimen was a solid 3" but it didn't say if it was a male or a female. I believe that if it was a male, it would've matured by now but it still isn't a mature male so I'm guessing it's a female. Would you agree? Is this a good price for this species? I've heard they can be mistaken with the p scrofa, but I could see the difference. The truculentus had a more green sheen on it and the scrofa had more of a red tint (I should've gotten pictures). Does anyone know a lot about them? Do they burrow a lot? Do they web a good amount? do they fast? How big do they get? Skittish? If you own one, could you post a picture of it? I'll have it in a 7"x7"x7" with 4" of pretty dry substrate, water, cork bark hide, fake plants, and a good amount of ventilation. I guess I just want to know if I should just go for it, and if this is a great and fun T/a good deal. I own 7 T's already so it's not like I NEED a super friendly T but I feel like it's always good to have a few nice ones in your collection lol.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Did you say an E. Truculentus? Wanna tell me where that exotic pet store is? Not like I'm gonna snag that before you.. Just kidding!
Anyways this species has mostly the same care as G roseas. They are very hardy and just provide bone dry substrate with a waterbowl, hide and etc. This is sort of a new rare species to the hobby so there's not much info on that species. They grow around 4", more of the medium sized tarantula.
Very docile and handable, slow growing species.

NOTE: I'm just pulling this info from some stuff I read to care for them a week ago, since I was interested. (Couldn't find any for sale so I gave up :~<)

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Yep haha it's very hard to find info on them, but luckily they aren't a very complicated species. Are they really that rare? Do they fast a lot?

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Yep haha it's very hard to find info on them, but luckily they aren't a very complicated species. Are they really that rare? Do they fast a lot?
They're simply rare right now because it's a new species introduced to the hobby, and not many breeders have gotten one for themselves yet. So currently there's only a few on the market, and If that's a true E. Truculentus, I would buy it. No idea on the fasting.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
My male is 3" or maybe a bit more and not yet mature.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If anyone can get their hands on this species, do it!

It reminds me a lot of the activity of an A. seemanni. Always up to something. I would imagine that it is a burrower in the wild, as it is always excavating. It absolutely never uses its hide, and it doesn't create a burrow. Be wary, though - it's docile 90% of the time. Just like Grammy's, they're prone to mood swings. I may just have a bad reaction to them, but this is one of the worst urticating setae I've kept. It's honestly up there with T. stirmi for me. Luckily, they rarely flick. Again, I think I just have a bad reaction to this particular setae, as Brachy's tend to not bother me.

Mine has never gone through a fast, but the premolt lasts forever and a day. Mine just molted after a ~5 month premolt. They obviously refuse to eat during this time. Now, that's not to say that they're always hungry. Mine gets about one adult male dubia every six weeks - she refuses anything more than that. This is pretty standard with other Euathlus species, though.

Not to be kept on bone dry substrate. They can survive, but they won't like it. They are much more active and eat more often when kept mildly humid. Mine is kept similar to a B. albopilosum juvie. I heavily overfill the water dish every week.

They are very easy to ventrally sex, so be sure to do that before purchasing.

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Sorry, I was on my phone earlier. I'm looking for a female. Send it to me if you don't get it yourself!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have not a single clue about those, but I assume they wouldn't behave like a female Prophet ('OBT') in her 'period' wrong day. Anyway crack me up the 'truculentus' part, LOL, truculento means in modern Italian (from Latin, of course) someone sinister, bloodthirsty, with no mercy.

Buy one only for that name if you can and who care.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Really bummed I couldn't go today, I was too busy. But I'll get it within the next few days for sure :/

Andy00

Arachnoknight
I'll see if I can squeeze the time in. Still not sure haha but all I know is I need it :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yours is probably very near its ultimate molt my MM is about 3" and ready for @ EulersK female. ;)

View attachment 217333
Erm... sexual dimorphism? o_O Mine certainly has that red patch of setae on the frontal abdomen, but yours has an entirely red abdomen. Or is that a trick of the camera?

@BobBarley That's what I love about these spiders - they look like a drab deep green until you look closer or get a light on them. Then they glow like a Christmas tree.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Erm... sexual dimorphism? o_O Mine certainly has that red patch of setae on the frontal abdomen, but yours has an entirely red abdomen. Or is that a trick of the camera?

@BobBarley That's what I love about these spiders - they look like a drab deep green until you look closer or get a light on them. Then they glow like a Christmas tree.
The red is on the pedicile and tail end. it may also be the MM color are brighter
shot w/out flash and a couple at angle showing the gold/green
2016-07-17 14.34.43.jpg 2016-07-17 14.34.08.jpg 2016-07-17 14.33.42.jpg