E. truculentus Care

terrariumkeeper

Arachnosquire
Hey all, just got myself a E. truculentus. I have been reading around and they are supposed be cared for about the same as a G. Rosea? I usually do my research before buying, but it was a 2 inch specimen for $20. I couldn't resist. If anyone has any other info on this species I would love to know. Thanks!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Where did you get it? LPS or online? I ask because I'm a little suspicious of its ID. Make sure it has a waterdish and a hide.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Great price on that! This is a great species, one of the larger members of Euathlus out there.

Do not keep it like a rosie, no. That is, keep it more humid than a rosie. I overfill the water dish, let the substrate dry out, and overfill again. For me, that equates to overfilling about once per month - I heavily overflow it.

They're very sparse eaters. Before I paired my female, she ate one adult male dubia per month at most. Note that this is a very skinny looking species. They don't get a round abdomen when plump, it's still an elongated grape shape.

Other than that, it's a standard terrestrial setup. I'd provide about 1.5x dls of substrate. They don't burrow in my experience, but they do excavate readily.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Great price on that! This is a great species, one of the larger members of Euathlus out there.

Do not keep it like a rosie, no. That is, keep it more humid than a rosie. I overfill the water dish, let the substrate dry out, and overfill again. For me, that equates to overfilling about once per month - I heavily overflow it.

They're very sparse eaters. Before I paired my female, she ate one adult male dubia per month at most. Note that this is a very skinny looking species. They don't get a round abdomen when plump, it's still an elongated grape shape.

Other than that, it's a standard terrestrial setup. I'd provide about 1.5x dls of substrate. They don't burrow in my experience, but they do excavate readily.
Really? Did not know they needed to be kept more humid, my bad, I'll edit my previous post, thanks!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Really? Did not know they needed to be kept more humid, my bad, I'll edit my previous post, thanks!
They don't need to be kept humid, but mine certainly seems to appreciate it. If you live in a humid environment, then you may be able to keep it "bone dry".

terrariumkeeper

Arachnosquire
Where did you get it? LPS or online? I ask because I'm a little suspicious of its ID. Make sure it has a waterdish and a hide.
I got it at a LPS I'll post a pic of it when I get the chance. I am also suspect of it's ID

Okay cool thanks for the heads up :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree with @EulersK.

I keep mine a little more humid by laying some spag moss on one side of the enclosure and I put some drops of water on that area every week. I overflow the waterdish until it dries out then repeat.

However, my adult female has a ferocious appetite and demolishes anything that touches the sub. I will feed her a large roach every 2 weeks.

She is very active and likes to dig around, theough she hasnt made a burrow. She is out on show almost all the time and barely uses her hide.

For 20 buck you got yourself a great deal. Great addition

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That looks like Euathlus sp. yellow to me

It is missing the distinctive setae and tiger stripes on the abdomen.

It looks to be a subadult too. This species will only grow to around 7-8cm

terrariumkeeper

Arachnosquire
That looks like Euathlus sp. yellow to me

It is missing the distinctive setae and tiger stripes on the abdomen.

It looks to be a subadult too. This species will only grow to around 7-8cm
LPS labeling at its finest :banghead:. Still think it was a good price?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Aw, too bad, that's certainly not a truculentus. Still a decent deal, though.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
LPS labeling at its finest :banghead:. Still think it was a good price?
Since this species is rare to get as an adult or juvie, i'd say you still got the nicer end of the deal :)
Not the slightly feisty E.truculentus you expected, but you could sell it for more than you bought it for ;)
I'm not sure,but i think i remember @viper69 saying he was interested in this species.

terrariumkeeper

Arachnosquire
Since this species is rare to get as an adult or juvie, i'd say you still got the nicer end of the deal :)
Not the slightly feisty E.truculentus you expected, but you could sell it for more than you bought it for ;)
I'm not sure,but i think i remember @viper69 saying he was interested in this species.
Okay awesome that is reassuring! I might have to go clean out the rest of these guys at that store ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Okay awesome that is reassuring! I might have to go clean out the rest of these guys at that store ;)
Since females of this species go for 40 euros in the Netherlands, where generally most tarantula are much cheaper than in the US, 20 dollars is REALLY cheap, :p, so you may want to consider that, yes. ;)

I don't know about truculentus care, but from what i've read in the other posts here it is pretty similar. Except maybe for feeding. E.sp.Red/Yellow are finicky eaters.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Seeing as we are showcasing :p

Heres my AF.

View media item 36734
You still got an amazing deal! I have been lookin for sub/adult of this sp. for ages now. I am in Europe and just cant find them.

I think you are lucky, for a mislabel that is one of the best I have seen :D

Last edited: