E sp red hasn't eaten for months

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Hey guys
I got my adult E sp red back in August. She hasn't eaten anything- not one thing! Every week or so I offer a cricket, a waxworm. I've even tried killing it first since I've read they can be shy eaters. She still doesn't eat. She looks okay and seems to be drinking water. She's moving around and seems healthy. The seller thought she was due for a molt and she hasn't molted since I have had her.

From what I understand this can still be in the realm of normal this species. Is that correct? Anything I should try?or just keep trying?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Its probably in premolt. Some Ts will fast for several months before a molt. Especially adults. :)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys
I got my adult E sp red back in August. She hasn't eaten anything- not one thing! Every week or so I offer a cricket, a waxworm. I've even tried killing it first since I've read they can be shy eaters. She still doesn't eat. She looks okay and seems to be drinking water. She's moving around and seems healthy. The seller thought she was due for a molt and she hasn't molted since I have had her.

From what I understand this can still be in the realm of normal this species. Is that correct? Anything I should try?or just keep trying?
This is completely natural for this species my adult female only eats when she wants.
If her abdomen is plump don't worry you have to remember this species comes from chile which can be seriously harsh so over the years they have developed the ability to minimalise their food needs and yeah I guess they kind of are shy eaters sometimes

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the input! I figured this is okay, just want to make sure she's doing well.

In other news, my little A anax is looking extremely plump and his abdomen is now black so I'm expecting a molt anytime. The baby E sp red looks like they are getting ready for another molt too. I've been pumping the heat in my office even more than usual (it's cold!) so I wonder if that's speeding it up a bit more. These are my only 3 Ts and they are all new to me, so it's cool to see the changes!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have an E.sp.Red sling who's with me for three or four months. It ate three times. Three. She/he has molted once. Her/his abdomen looks plump, she/he is happily excavating around, webbing a bit here and some there. But eating?
Nope. More frustrating than my A.metallica sling was at first.
But I can see her U-hairs spot changing shape, so it looks like she/he is kicking some defenses in
case of an upcoming molt. I hope.

I try to trust that he/she knows how to Euathlus better than I do. Most of the time, that works. :p

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
I thought I would chime in on this conversation as my little one really hasn't been eating either. We think the sex is a male and I got him back in October of this year @ 1.5". I think the only time he might have ate was probably once within the 3 months I had him. He has a constant water supply but hates the water (or just doesnt like getting wet) He does crawl around from time to time as I find him hanging out in different spots, but other than that he hasn't moulted since I've had him so not really any bigger either...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah. Got my E. sp Red in July. Has not eaten anything. Definitely in premolt. These blasted critters teach patience. :arghh:
And when they molt, they grow a millimeter in legspan....

Oh well. Anything for the little princes and princesses right? :D

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
And when they molt, they grow a millimeter in legspan....

Oh well. Anything for the little princes and princesses right? :D
Yep. Right now she's huddling on the overflow area of her substrate. It's nice and damp. She hasn't moved for a couple of days. I do believe this girlie is going into molt. :astonished:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My little one is about 1.5" and has eaten once since I got him in October, at the same time as @MeAndMyRosie did. He is extremely active, his abdomen is plump, and he seems to be acting normal.
I think this is very common for the species. As long as their abdomen is plump, they should be fine. Nice to get an update on your little ones, @spidertherapy78 and I am glad they are doing well.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yep. Right now she's huddling on the overflow area of her substrate. It's nice and damp. She hasn't moved for a couple of days. I do believe this girlie is going into molt. :astonished:
:banghead::banghead::banghead: You're right, Andrea. That statement was optimistic.
....sobs....

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Thanks guys! I haven't been on here much because it has been a busy fall. I've missed it though and plan to spend more time here, I do find it more fulfilling than Facebook because I learn a lot! I've gotten used to my Ts a bit more. Honestly I think I spend more time fussing with my house plants!

My E sp red sling has eaten a few times (maybe 3?) and molted once. I think headed for another molt also.

That said, I wouldn't mind bringing in a T with a ravenous appetite that grows quickly. Mine are all pretty chill and apparently not very hungry!

And yes, patience!

Happy new year, everyone.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Everyone praises the E. Sp red why? I feel like i never hear the end of praise for this sp. And reading this thread makes it sound about as boring as a G. rosea or worse.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I picked the species based on a lot of input from the board. They are rather docile and extremely curious. They are like the Hufflepuffs of Tarantulas.

Instead of hiding or becoming defensive, this T tends to walk around and check things out. I've never seen her display a threat posture or kick hairs either. Also she's always out and about walking around and checking things out.

Plus they are really lovely- the dwarf size and the red bootie!

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I picked the species based on a lot of input from the board. They are rather docile and extremely curious. They are like the Hufflepuffs of Tarantulas.

Instead of hiding or becoming defensive, this T tends to walk around and check things out. I've never seen her display a threat posture or kick hairs either. Also she's always out and about walking around and checking things out.

Plus they are really lovely- the dwarf size and the red bootie!
I fully understand as a new hobbyist why this is an ideal first T and apologize for not adressing that on my post i was adressing a broader spectrum of keepers who all seem enthralled by this T.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Ahhh ok! Yes I will let the veterans respond then, as it seems many very experienced hobbyists like this species quite a bit. Perhaps their relaxed disposition is appreciated!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Everyone praises the E. Sp red why? I feel like i never hear the end of praise for this sp. And reading this thread makes it sound about as boring as a G. rosea or worse.
Having a T that doesn't run hide when you work with it. It's always out in view. You don't have to case it down as I have yet to see mine run. Looks nice. It's a dwarf species which I don't have a lot of.

Maybe that's boring to you.. everyone likes different things. I have all kinds of T species both OW and NW and I don't find it boring at all. I like mine a lot.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Having a T that doesn't run hide when you work with it. It's always out in view. You don't have to case it down as I have yet to see mine run. Looks nice. It's a dwarf species which I don't have a lot of.

Maybe that's boring to you.. everyone likes different things. I have all kinds of T species both OW and NW and I don't find it boring at all. I like mine a lot.
Well i hope no one takes offense in my statement as i take none in the generalized praise for this spider.