E. rubripes

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Is that pede information real? Is the pede of the picture a E. rubripes? What is the distribution of this genus?
yow Carles,
it depends which exact info you're having doubts on :)
Ethmostigmus rubripes (Brandt, 1840) is a valid spec. with even 3 valid subspec.: E.rubripes platycephalus, E.rubripes rubripes, E. rubripes spinosus.
I can't tell if the pede on the picture is in fact this spec. but by the looks of it, it seem Ethmostigmus indeed.
E.rubripes has quite a wide spread distribution: going from south-east asia towards Australia and South Pacific Islands.
This link also says it's Australia biggest native centipede:
http://www.faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=103
in the revision of A.Schileyko the BL is mentioned 13cm, Attems says 11cm, link above 14cm, so yeah 16cm could be a large specimen of this specie.

hope this has helped ya a bit ?

Cheers
Steven

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it means anything, I can say for sure that the dead leaves on the ground in the pic are from Australian trees....

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hope this has helped ya a bit ?
Yes, you did it. Thanks, very glad with you! :)

In other hand I did this quetion too ( thanks for say to me the ditribution of the E. rubripes): What is the distribution of this genus ( Ethmostigmus)? Just Africa and Oceania? Any Asian or American sp.?

Cheers
Carles

jettubes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this was a monster

Thats not the largest specimen ever found i'v seen them bigger than that mate
once i was in harvey bay and the people we were staying with claimed they had
seen huge centipedes in the house i asked them how big they said at least
20 cm i thought it was an eggsageration but i was wrong i went for a look out side coldn't find any at start but found some beautiful pedelings they were purple and had yellow legs and orange head and tail. well then i liffted up a large piece of tin and THERE WAS A MONSTER LYING THERE IN A BURROW I SHIT MI SELF MATE so ran in got a bucket and put it in we fed it a huge roach and measured it and it was 24.3 cm long it had a dark orange body with black stipes and yellow legs it was so aggro mate you would't believe i didn't think they got so large in australia and this is no joke either.
cheers
alex