E.pachypus still above ground...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Two weeks ago i received a young female if this species, and took a good look of it, expecting it to dig straight down and, aside from her sexy legs, disappear from sight.
Well, the little lady us still crawling on the surface, despite the nice starter burrow I made, and the hide I added later as a suggestion from another keeper of this species.
She's on dry substrate, well, mostly dry since she likes to topple and throw her waterdish around. Her substrate is 2,5-3 times her DLS deep, the enclosure she's in is 20x40cm wide and long.

Hasn't eaten, temps are consistent 22-24°C and I leave her pretty much alone, aside from refilling the waterdish and throwing a feeder in.

Does she simply need more time? My other burrowers went to ground in a week, but this girl just climbs and walks around.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
She probably needs more time. Not always hardcore burrower settle in short time. Once after a (forced, due to crappy previous owner care and set up) re-house my female M.robustum needed more than a month for accept the new home.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
She probably needs more time. Not always hardcore burrower settle in short time. Once after a (forced, due to crappy previous owner care and set up) re-house my female M.robustum needed more than a month for accept the new home.
Thank you <3
She ate last night...sneaky little thing.
It takes some getting used to the different bodyframe. NW are bulky and heavily build. This girl has a more oval shaped abdomen and (aside for those sexy legs of course), is more delicately framed. If any of my NW looked like that I would give it the fattest roach or superworm I could find!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Update...the little lady is still above ground. Are there cases known of this species staying on the surface? She eats and drinks, and is busy messing up her waterdish as soon as i fill it, but no burrowing.
She hunkers down in the corners during the day, or using what cover there is from plants, but never explores the pre dug starter burrow under the bark that I've made for her...

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Update...the little lady is still above ground. Are there cases known of this species staying on the surface? She eats and drinks, and is busy messing up her waterdish as soon as i fill it, but no burrowing.
She hunkers down in the corners during the day, or using what cover there is from plants, but never explores the pre dug starter burrow under the bark that I've made for her...
I have never heard of a non-burrowing specimen. They construct their burrows differently from most other species though. As long as it eats and otherwise are doing well I cant see what you could do differently. Just give it more time and I am certain it will start to dig sooner or later.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I didn't check on her this morning before posting...just checking her now and she is digging and webbing a ton....
Thnx for the swift reply @TownesVanZandt , appreciate it!

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
My l.parahybana took time to settle in when I got them. They were packed in little vials in tissue so mostly were out looking around trying to figure out how to get out. Every time I opened the lid they tried to get out. However they were hungry and ate the first couple of nights I had them.
Now they are both burrowed and playing pimp my pad with their enclosures showing their personalities.
They have their routines now too.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My l.parahybana took time to settle in when I got them. They were packed in little vials in tissue so mostly were out looking around trying to figure out how to get out. Every time I opened the lid they tried to get out. However they were hungry and ate the first couple of nights I had them.
Now they are both burrowed and playing pimp my pad with their enclosures showing their personalities.
They have their routines now too.
Pimp my pad??:D