E murinus gone?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
My E murinus molted a little over a week ago and had been out a little in the evening up until the last few days. I looked in the burrow and saw his legs curled up under what is either web or web/mold mix. I can see springtails running around his leg. I have a sinking feeling, but wanted to reach out here before disturbing him. I took about 50 pictures, but these are the best that came out. BB542EAA-513A-4ABA-8467-E9FDFA3D0541.jpeg 79174747-4B5C-4FF6-99F2-47213D77918E.jpeg 1AD9B308-FEBF-4F52-80E9-8D8943A8DD96.jpeg
7C0338EA-91CA-481D-9BEB-229F9483F2C0.jpeg

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
That fluffy white spot unfortunately looks exactly like the mold growth in the enclosure when I lost my tiny N. chromatus sling. You could always give it another day or two and see if the leg moves at all, but I have a bad feeling that condolences are in order. :sad:

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
She’s gone. While the substrate was damp, I don’t think it was wet enough, especially as she had just molted.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Post mortem pics. Anyone know what that mass is by her chelicerae? 7E93521D-61DA-41D4-B6CA-20C0F6E38AB0.jpeg
Also has an odd growth on the top of her chelicera?
556A524B-43D9-4218-95F2-73FA6768347A.jpeg

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
The mold probably killed it, slings are more susceptible when they are young.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The mold probably killed it, slings are more susceptible when they are young.
Where did you hear this from? I have never found mold being able to kill them outright. The mold most certainly began to happen after it had perished and then began to colonize the corpse.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
The substrate was moist, but not at that 60% level recommended. I had added springtails from the genic’s enclosure probably a week before molt. She was out doing fine a day after she threw out the molt and then a few more after that. I was counting days till I could feed her (couldn’t see the fangs well enough), though noted she still looked plump. Then she disappeared for a few days. As she’s fossorial, I didn’t think it was anything unusual, but when it had been an almost a week, I checked in on her and saw the mold. Really trying to figure out what I did wrong as I’d like to keep this species at some point in the future.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
By any chance, did you reference @l4nsky's posts on keeping moisture-dependent slings? Because it looks like that's the same enclosure design.

Which makes it even more confusing as to what happened-you can't, for example, blame this loss on poor ventilation.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
By any chance, did you reference @l4nsky's posts on keeping moisture-dependent slings? Because it looks like that's the same enclosure design.

Which makes it even more confusing as to what happened-you can't, for example, blame this loss on poor ventilation.
Yes, I duplicated the hole pattern, percentages of soil composition and the squeeze test for saturation (before housing her). The only thing I added to his recommendation were springtails, and an extra hole at the top for easy filling of her tiny water dish. She used the starter burrow, ate, molted..everything seemed good. When I dug out the sling, I noted I hadn't added enough water along he way to keep it at 60%, but it was still moist. That and those weird growths are my only clues.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, I duplicated the hole pattern, percentages of soil composition and the squeeze test for saturation (before housing her). The only thing I added to his recommendation were springtails, and an extra hole at the top for easy filling of her tiny water dish. She used the starter burrow, ate, molted..everything seemed good. When I dug out the sling, I noted I hadn't added enough water along he way to keep it at 60%, but it was still moist. That and those weird growths are my only clues.
The fact that the mold/fungi was putting off aerial growth (the fuzzy appearance) tells me moisture levels in the substrate wasn't an issue. This is further reinforced by the fact you can see microdroplets of condensed water in the trapped air pockets against the enclosure sides (these are normal in small amounts and expected). Ventilation is on point and the sling looks like it was settled in well. For me, IMO, all signs point towards a complication from a bad molt that didn't start manifesting until the specimen started to harden up. At that point, it was out of your hands :(.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for reviewing my post and set up. I've been feeling awful trying to figure out what I did wrong that cost this little sling his life. While I realize no one can know 100%, it helps to know nothing looks wrong.

Oh yeah, I also added tiny pieces of oak leaf as I read they liked to camouflage their burrows with them, which he did. Doubt that would be a factor though.

caedus511

Arachnopeon
Thank you for reviewing my post and set up. I've been feeling awful trying to figure out what I did wrong that cost this little sling his life. While I realize no one can know 100%, it helps to know nothing looks wrong.

Oh yeah, I also added tiny pieces of oak leaf as I read they liked to camouflage their burrows with them, which he did. Doubt that would be a factor though.
Everything looks great to me, sometimes slings just don't make it and it's impossible to zero in on the specific cause. The oak leaf pieces could have introduced a parasite but it's not very likely given the time of year. There's nothing obvious that was in error, it looks like you gave that sling the best opportunity you could have.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Oak leaf pieces were baked and ziplocked several months ago, but I'll definitely leave them out next time to reduce variables, at least until he's out of that super delicate phase.

caedus511

Arachnopeon
Oak leaf pieces were baked and ziplocked several months ago, but I'll definitely leave them out next time to reduce variables, at least until he's out of that super delicate phase.
Oh then you're definitely in the clear on that, when I heard leaf pieces I thought maybe they were "raw" from out in the lawn or something. Baked and stored like what you've done and you can 100% put those in the enclosures without any worry. In fact they could possibly help the substrate to hold moisture for you.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree, moisture level looks fine. Sometimes these things just happen.

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
You can tell that you are a very good and conscientious keeper, and so any future or current t's will be in the best hands. It's extra hard to lose one when you have given it your all, though. I'm so sorry.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you. I killed my second T through my own ignorance. I didn’t keep again for 15 years. I love having T’s in the house again and am hyper vigilant to do everything right this time for those I take into my care. I’m so very thankful for this group.