Dyskinetic Syndrome

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
How common is this? How is it transmitted? How do you avoid it? Etc.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's an internet myth. It arose from people observing tarantulas with uncoordinated movement. The cause/s is not known. Again, it is NOT a disease, a syndrome or anything of the sort.

It is perpetuated by those that have not educated themselves on it properly. It's OK to be ignorant, all of us are about something/s.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could say it's very uncommon as it doesn't exist.
DKS is a reaction to the tarantula being in contact whether secondary or primary to certain substances in the form of poisons,pesticides etc.
Even something as trivial seeming as treating your dog,cat for fleas can have an adverse effect on a tarantula and I personally think this is the problem it's the secondary contact because no keeper would knowingly or purposely subject their pet to a poison

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Dks doesn't exist as a syndrome, the phrase is an inappropriate wording describing a set of symptoms that have no scientifically proven origin.

One of the leading theories on the source of these symptoms is pesticides or poisons of some sort. Chemical cleaning products, nicotine, cedar chips, airborne chemicals ECT.
Again there, to my knowledge, has NOT been any legitimate studies in these symptoms and have no proven source.

Just use common sense and don't use chemical cleaning products around the T's and avoid contact with pesticides and poisons and you'll be fine

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
That's a relief. Thanks for your inputs. BTW, what are some of the diseases that Ts can get?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
That's a relief. Thanks for your inputs. BTW, what are some of the diseases that Ts can get?
To my knowledge, none. Tarantulas don´t get sick like us, they can´t catch a cold or the flu. They are however fragile when it comes to exposure to pesticides and chemicals, some wild caught specimens might carry some parasites that are harmful to them, moults do go wrong from time to time and if kept in a bad enclosure, they might fall and injure themselves.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Townes pretty much mentioned everything. The one thing we do see in Ts from time to time is every so often their abdomen develops for lack of a better word, a cyst. It generally appears as a whitish discoloration on the exoskeleton. There's a sticky here I believe which photos of what I mentioned. No one knows the cause/s, the only suggestion we generally make is to feed it less often to minimize the expansion of the abdomen. Sometimes it takes a couple of molts for it to go away completely.

Some of us think it's a weakening of the exoskeleton in the affected region.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Another health problem i've read about is impaction. Somehow the anal region gets blocked and the spider can't lose its poop, for lack of a better word.

elephantspider

Arachnopeon
I opened this thread just to see what had changed about our understanding of DKS. I've been away for so long. It is very interesting to see how our knowledge has grown and changed over the past decade. Cross ventilation is something that I didn't see so commonly mentioned, and now this "development" on DKS...its good to the hobby moving towards greater professionalism every year. Any other major developments? :)

user 666

Arachnobaron
Dks doesn't exist as a syndrome, the phrase is an inappropriate wording describing a set of symptoms that have no scientifically proven origin.

One of the leading theories on the source of these symptoms is pesticides or poisons of some sort. Chemical cleaning products, nicotine, cedar chips, airborne chemicals ECT.
Again there, to my knowledge, has NOT been any legitimate studies in these symptoms and have no proven source.

Just use common sense and don't use chemical cleaning products around the T's and avoid contact with pesticides and poisons and you'll be fine
You should really learn what words mean before using them in public. this would have kept you from writing something so very wrong.

You cannot say that the symptoms are caused by poisoning while at the same time denying that DKS exists. That is a logical contradiction.

The word syndrome is defined as "a group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, psychological disorder, or other abnormal condition". We've observed spiders engaging in spastic leg movements and then dying. That is a group of symptoms, so it is a syndrome.

Here is a list of syndromes in humans. Note that they have a variety of causes including environmental, genetic, hereditary, and unknown.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
You should really learn what words mean before using them in public. this would have kept you from writing something so very wrong.

You cannot say that the symptoms are caused by poisoning while at the same time denying that DKS exists. That is a logical contradiction.

The word syndrome is defined as "a group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, psychological disorder, or other abnormal condition". We've observed spiders engaging in spastic leg movements and then dying. That is a group of symptoms, so it is a syndrome.

Here is a list of syndromes in humans. Note that they have a variety of causes including environmental, genetic, hereditary, and unknown.
First, thank you for reviving a dead thread.
Second, who are you?
Third, maybe take your own advice, I never claimed any source or cause for these symptoms, I simply stated what one of the commonly believed causes is. Despite there being no proof one way or another.

Excellent use if definition! Maybe next time you'll use the definition of "species" to try and say any species that can hybridize are this the same species.

user 666

Arachnobaron
First, thank you for reviving a dead thread.
Second, who are you?
Third, maybe take your own advice, I never claimed any source or cause for these symptoms, I simply stated what one of the commonly believed causes is. Despite there being no proof one way or another.

Excellent use if definition! Maybe next time you'll use the definition of "species" to try and say any species that can hybridize are this the same species.
You said DKS wasn't a syndrome. That is simply wrong by any reasonable definition of the word. And now you're compounding it by trying to argue the point.

This exceeds my tolerance for stupid for the day. Bye now!

user 666

Arachnobaron
deleted

My Ts are dying of DKS, and I am having a bad day.

Last edited: