Dysdera Crocata breeding:A Success!

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I caught 1.2 D.Crorcata a while back.I introduce the male to one female for a week,and one for around 10 days.Then I released the male so he could breed more before dying.I just checked the females today,and one female is still guarding her eggs(they look good though).When I opene the other one up,a baby scurried out.Then they all started scurrying out,followed by the momma.All the babies look good.They are nicely sized,amd should take pinheads no problem.Soon they can do smalls.I female is chowing down on a cricket as I type.I'm super excited that I got CBB slings now.I can't wait until they grow up!I'll post pictures in a bit.I snagged a couple showing how large the fangs are on this species.Probably my favorite true spider.Anyways,just thought Id share!

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a picture of the female.As you can see,the fangs are so large,they fold over:eek:.I've been told a bite is comparable to a wasp sting,and last quite a while.Really pretty species though!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I really like this species. I found a couple over the last summer, but the male died within a day, and the female only lasted about a month. She was really vicious towards pill bugs. I also saw some threat displays from them. Definitely not a spider I would mess with. Unfortunately they are uncommon in my area. I am a little too far north...

--Dan

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really like this species. I found a couple over the last summer, but the male died within a day, and the female only lasted about a month. She was really vicious towards pill bugs. I also saw some threat displays from them. Definitely not a spider I would mess with. Unfortunately they are uncommon in my area. I am a little too far north...

--Dan
I can find 7 in a day in the spring if I REALLY try, and I'm in Michigan. Try flipping over stones directly around your house. :)
**EDIT- Did I mention I found one crawling on my basement floor a week ago? :p