Dynastes tityus and no eggs?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've bred D. tityus for several generations now, and the best thing I've found to get the females to lay eggs is larval frass. When rearing larvae, DON'T throw out the used substrate/food (aka, the frass and feces). Save it (freezing or drying keeps it pest-free in the meantime), and then add it back to the subsrate when you have adults. It even works with different species, last year I got some WC D. granti females and put them in a tub full of D. tityus frass and they started laying within days of being introduced to it.

Also, males seem to breed females relentlessly. If you have multiple females, this isn't a big problem, but one male with one female can lead to premature death of the female. I usually introduce single males to a group of females for several days and then remove him. Since the male is out of the picture, you might have better luck getting eggs now (since she has time to lay), but you probably still want to work on the substrate just in case as others have suggested.

Wade

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, the female is still alive and well. she's been guzzling a 1:1 maple syrup:water mixture. more substrate with a higher percentage of leafmold/wood should be arriving today.

i'll do a good sifting of her tank before i mix in the new stuff (in case there are any eggs... don't want to crush them). *fingers crossed*

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wade, i'd been planning to move him out, just hadn't gotten the chance yet. i guess he moved out for me. :(

Last edited:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good news! 3 eggs! :D

i've put them in hatching containers (inverted on the leafmold/leaves with dog food mixed into the damper compost substrate), and repacked/filled the female's tank with several inches of damp compost/leaf mix and about 3" of leafmold/wood/compost on top.

now, if only they hatch and thrive. *fingers crossed*