Dynastes granti info

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wanted to know all about these guys, husbandry, reproduction, housing, etc. I work at a zoo and am currently helping with an insect exhibit and wanted to include these guys. Thanx in advance guys.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Make sure the egg collecting substrate is sifted and soft so the females will be able to compact areas to lay eggs in. If the substrate is too course you will get few, if any, eggs.
I usually collect the eggs and remove pupae from their cells to be able to keep better track of their progress. I'm sure someone will find fault but I have had to help a few pupate/eclose before, which I would not have been able to do otherwise (and if left alone would most likely have resulted in death).
The grubs can be reared in the same container as long as you don't keep too many together. You would probably want to separate them when they are close to pupation so they don't disturb each other. They love dog food too, which is good for healthy grubs and larger adults.

Suggested reading:

Orin's book: "The Complete Guide to Rearing Grant's Rhinoceros Beetle"
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna/

Lai's "For the Love of Rhinoceros and Stag Beetles" if you can find it

Good luck, keep us posted...

Steven

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dynastes tityus

i had success w/ tityus . i had 2 males and 4 females to work with. put both males (separtely of course) w/ the females. let them be for a couple of weeks, then put all females in separate containers.
each container for the females contained both top soil and compost manure @ a 50/50 ratio. a gallon jar filled almost to the top is essential so the females can burrow to lay eggs. dont count on seeing the eggs unless you sift thru the soil. i just let them be until i started finding grubs.
i had eggs within a month. it took another month for the grubs to finally hatch.
for food i collected rotten wood and leaves and baked it @ 250 degrees in the oven for 3 hrs to kill wireworms , etc. i removed the females and left the grubs alone and give them dogfood. the only drawback to all this is that it takes about a year for grubs to become adults.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Wanted to know all about these guys, husbandry, reproduction, housing, etc. I work at a zoo and am currently helping with an insect exhibit and wanted to include these guys. Thanx in advance guys.
When you check out the lifepan differences you're likely to want D.tityus rather than D.granti. D.tityus info is in the D.granti book mentioned and the book is available on amazon and eslewhere.