Dying?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey folks.

Well, my last haplopelma (the aureopilosum) seems to be dying on me, from what I can tell. She's in the death ball every time I see her, but reacts when I blow on her, etc - however lethargically. Anyone seen this before, is it pretty much a sure sign of impending doom? Humidity, temperature, etc are all on par with haplopelma. She hasn't eaten in a few weeks, either.

Bill

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Hey folks.

Well, my last haplopelma (the aureopilosum) seems to be dying on me, from what I can tell. She's in the death ball every time I see her, but reacts when I blow on her, etc - however lethargically. Anyone seen this before, is it pretty much a sure sign of impending doom? Humidity, temperature, etc are all on par with haplopelma. She hasn't eaten in a few weeks, either.

Bill
That is how my Usambara s'ling was before he kicked the bucket. How is the humidity/moisture in you setup? I think my Usambara got dehydrated. I gave it really dry substrate because that is what they need as adults. But I think it should have stayed moist for the the s'ling.

If it is curling up, it is most likely going to die. Here is what I would do, if the situation was mine to handle. Presumably it is dehydrated, so I would get a plate and put a drop of water on it. I would then put the spider right at the edge of the water. I would then cover teh spider with a clear cup that has a couple of holes poked in it, so that I would watch it instead of taking off and replacing the cup repeatedly and just in case it does revive, doesn't take off before I knew what happened.

Good Luck

Jon

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry to hear that, hopefully it is something that can be fixed.

one of my lividum matched that description exactly not too long ago and i thought it was dead, it wasn't until i had picked it up and tried to unroll one of the legs that i realised that it was still alive. while i was looking at the substrate i noticed mold throughout it that really blended in and wasn't noticeable without the closer examination. i changed all the substrate including the container and placed the t in the new one. the next day it had dug a new burrow, it ate the following day and has been fine since.

i don't know if this is the same case for you, but anything is worth trying.
good luck.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What happened?

It's been about a month now. Did this spider ever get better or is it in that great big terrarium in the sky.

(I guess they wouldn't be in terrariums if they were in heaven, huh?)

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Yeah, It did get better, in fact, I posted a pic of her the other day. Or atleast, I think she's better. She still pulls that pose out all the time, but she's eating, and well-hydrated as best I can tell. Sorry about keepin ya hanging, I went away for a few days, and totally forgot about the thread..

Bill

P.S. - She is one mean little girl now.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh Yay!

I'm glad she's doing better conipto. And I hope she pulls the pose on you less. No need to have your heart in your throat all the time.

:)

Congrates on her recuperation. :)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats wierd, my H.Lividum female did this when i got her.... i was certain she was on death row

try and use your judgment to alter a factor, with mine i raised the heat and humidity,

is it curling up outside its nest? mine was, so though the most important thing that aided in her recovery was:

build an extreme nest for it to fall back into, roof the tunnel and dig it a bit deeper so it can safely hide in the chamber, that seemed to 'restore' my spider within a couple of days. call it a stupid theory but im 90% it was this that helped her... a week later she had fully burrowed and seemed fine

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Defiler - interesting you should mention burrowing, etc..

The first night I got her, as I was asleep, she built an amazing turret burrow typical of Haplopelma. She acted pretty Haplopelma for about a week, then started doing that curl outside the burrow. Now, she has made a lame, half-assed burrow in the opposite corner, just a tiny hole that doesn't even cover her body. She sits in it, all the time. I don't think I've seen her down the original burrow for over a month. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some great evil down there she doesn't like..

Bill

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Similar experience.

Bill,

I have had 2 similar experinces, both with haps. I lost a nice cobalt female, and a hap (sp). I've never had any probs other than these. At first the cobalt was fine. I built her a burrow, put her in a warm place and kept the humidity up, but after about a month, she started doing the same thing as my previous hap., wouldn't burrow or eat, legs curled under, etc. I changed the substrate, location of her tank....anything I could think of, but I finally lost her. I felt just terrible; for the life of me can't figure out what I did wrong. It's such a bummer because I'm terrified to try any more Asians. There is an huge, GORGEOUS, female hap at the pet store where I get my T's, but I don't dare. I'm afraid her fate would be the same as her predecessors. I would also love a Pokey, but I won't take the chance.

I hope your Cobalt comes out of it. Sounds like others have had some good success!

Pax,
Kelly O