Dying Toad...

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 4 firebelly toads, all of whom seemed perfectly fine this morning. I fed them this morning, added more water to their enclosure and went to work. I walked by their tank when I came home and noticed one of the toads was dragging itself across the rocks, its back legs motionless. Its entire body looked bloated and seemed to had grown double in size in just a few hours. Right now its laying underneath a rock cave thing, its hind legs sprawled out in awkward positions and its not moving at all except for its slow breatheing.

It appears like hes going to die, and ive accepted this already. Im just wondering whats wrong with it... any ideas? Thanks.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not entirely sure since I've never had firebelly toads before, but Im pretty sure dragging its legs means that it injured its back some how or a medical condition called impaction, it ate something that isn't digesting nor coming out.

None the less, I'm sorry and I hope it gets better even though thats unlikely. It's always sad when you lose a pet.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just making a quick guess based on very little information, I'd have to second the impaction. What size crickets are you feeding them?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it isn't too late, and with the likely diagnosis of impaction, you may try soaking the toad and/or massaging its abdomen gently to help "pass" whatever the blockage may be. It's worth a try...

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I thought id give an update of some sort.. the Toad is still alive after over 3 weeks, it hasnt eaten at all since this all happened.. I have no idea what to do, is there anything I can do to help it? Or do I just have to wait for it to die?

It has tried swimming or floating in the water in the past week, but after about 5 minutes I find it struggling to keep floating. I have found him one morning at the bottom of the pool on his back, I quickly grabbed him and put him on the land and he was still alive. I have dug him a small pool for himself in the rocks since then.

Any ideas?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does he feel like he's impacted? Like a hard lump around his ...err, what do you call a frog's anus? Is it "vent"? ..anyhow... yeah, does it feel firmer than "normal" around that area?

Did soaking him in warm water not help? Are his back legs still functioning?

If he were mine, I'd take him to the Exotics Vet at this point. I'm sorry I don't know what else to do.

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
His body feels very spongy and weird.. his back legs are still not working and I have felt for a hard lump but I could feel one.