Dying Tarantula

Poptartsfly

Arachnopeon
So i have a Brazilian black its about 2 inches and turning 1 year this month and today i had left to go to an appointment and i forgot to close my bedroom door and my cat knocked his enclosure over and when i came home i saw the enclosure and started panicking i got it back up put everything back and my tarantula was in the top corner of the enclosure he and then i saw its abdomen it has a red mark on it. I looked at it closely and didn't see any bleeding but the way he walks i really don't think he's gonna make it he won't stay still and he's all over the place when he walks he's legs kinda wobble like he's twitch and his feet and not sticking good and i don't know what to do

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Pictures would help for visuals, because we can't exactly see thee situation in depth. It doesn't sound too good, but we'll help as much as we can if we can have a visual of the tarantula and this red mark on it.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
...Brazilian Black? Is that the same as a Grammostola pulchra?

I've completely quit using common names...so Yeah, bit lost on what this is...

CamranT

Arachnopeon
Moving weird and twitching? Sounds like DKS but you would definitely know if that was the issue

CamranT

Arachnopeon
Cat and dog flea medicine, so fortunately your tarantula doesnt have it (unless it was exposed to them)
I thought people didn't know where dks came from or how to treat it. I might be wrong or is that a new thing that was discovered?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Nothing looks completely out of the ordinary to me. The Red patch looks like urticating hairs, but I might be not seeing things right lol
If that picture is upside down and the tarantula is at the top of the enclosure, then you need to be careful it doesn't fall and get injured. There looks to be more space than is recommended from the substrate to the lid.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I thought people didn't know where dks came from or how to treat it. I might be wrong or is that a new thing that was discovered?
Unfortunately the real cause of it is unknown but cat and dog flea medicine is supposed to cause it.

Poptartsfly

Arachnopeon
Nothing looks completely out of the ordinary to me. The Red patch looks like urticating hairs, but I might be not seeing things right lol
If that picture is upside down and the tarantula is at the top of the enclosure, then you need to be careful it doesn't fall and get injured. There looks to be more space than is recommended from the substrate to the lid.
The substrate on the wall is from where it fell over

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Read the following thread, DKS is an outdated term used to describe the symptom dyskinesia which has multiple causes

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The substrate on the wall is from where it fell over
That isn't what I meant. I meant that in the picture you can't see the substrate level which says to me that there's too much space between the top of the substrate and the lid.

Any update on how the tarantula is doing?

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Full photos of the enclosure is needed, just looks and sounds like the T was stuck on the top and trying to assume a grip...

Last edited:

Poptartsfly

Arachnopeon
Full photos of the enclosure is needed, just looks and sounded like the T was stuck on the top and trying to assume a grip...
He's not stuck he came down thank God and he was hiding all night and he just came out and is just sitting there i haven't seen him walk yet so i don't know if he is still walking funky

Poptartsfly

Arachnopeon
Any updates?
Well he went in his hide all night and this morning he came out i just try not to bother him cuz he's prolly really stressed from falling off the shelf but every once in a while I'll go in my room to check on him he seems more calm then yesterday but im trying to see him walk to see if he is still moving funny but all i saw was him cleaning himself. I really hope he doesn't have DKS lol this is my first tarantula and for some reason I'm really attached to it

ratmilk

Arachnopeon
Can we see a pic of your setup? Just to rule out any possible issues from that.