dying of old age?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi I have a pink toe that I got a couple months ago during summer as 4 inches. It has always been "weird". It never made a tubeweb just sat on a wood perch (horizontal) and always sits there. it's pads have been worn down since I've had it (it could never climb the glass) and it has sat scrunched up most the time. Now I'm noticing it is pretty lethargic and its legs seem to curling frightenly further under. I think I have all the housing rihgt. There is leaves and branches and a backdrop with eco earth on bottom and a small water dish. The humidity has varied with my weather. latly it has been high. and I have plenty of ventilation 7 vents (tarantulacages cage). Could it be dying? could it be old age. I cant think of anything else. And it is female.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Incoming molt?

By your words it seems to look and act pretty ragged which doesn't mean anything but could be an indication of time between molts.

Has it ever molted in your care and if so what was the last time?

You state it's a female but how do you know? Ventral or exuvia sexing?

While I'm sure it could be old age and exactly what you've described but I think odds are, if indeed it's a female, it's something else.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the seller said it was female and is a pretty known seller and I'm fairly sure I saw it and thought there was an obvious line for female. It has never molted in my care so I'm hoping thats it.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thead revived!!! The strangest thing. I'm not sure if it's dead or molting! it is clinging onto its purch by 4 legs UPSIDE DOWN!!!!it has been sitting like this all day and I just lightly touched it with the tongs and ther was no response. So what do you think, dead? Molting? All its other legs are tight on its body, not really covering the bottom of him. ust hugging his side. Has anyone seen one molt like that? Or die like that? It just seems so bizarre.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
both of my avic's molted upside down, they would hang there and let gravity assist them with the process. leave it alone for the day and see what it does. if it does molt, don't touch it afterwards, it will still want to curl it's legs under to clean them. now if it doesn't move for a week and starts to stink, then you have a dead T, otherwise it should be fine.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
What does it's abdomen look like? Is it a healthy size or very small? If it is dehydrated, you could put it into an ICU. If it is going to molt, is it in a possition where if it does molt, could it fall and injure itself in any way. If so, make sure to stuff some towels underneath it to keep it from getting hurt. It probably wouldn't hurt to make the towels moist as well. You should definatly post some pictures up of it ASAP so we can be of more assistance to you.

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
If it is indeed molting, you'll know pretty soon enough, just don't disturb the t, the molt is stessfull as it is, don't touch it at all, could do a lot of harm.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What does it's abdomen look like? Is it a healthy size or very small? If it is dehydrated, you could put it into an ICU. If it is going to molt, is it in a possition where if it does molt, could it fall and injure itself in any way. If so, make sure to stuff some towels underneath it to keep it from getting hurt. It probably wouldn't hurt to make the towels moist as well. You should definatly post some pictures up of it ASAP so we can be of more assistance to you.
A small abdomen doesnt necessarily means that its dehydrated. Besides that raising humidity and supplying wather is better in most cases than ICU. In many cases an icu could do alot more harm than good.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The abdomen has always looked small (probably my opinion since it was first arborial). But not "deflated" like dehydration. It has eaten many crickets in my care so I don't think it is underfed. And it is still in the same position so my hopes aren't high...