Dying Mantis HELP

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
Just captured a wild mantis just to find out it has a Huge cut on the abdomen. Is it a parasite , an injury? Will it live?

[edit: mispelled]

Attachments

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Oh ok that doesnt look great. Is that coming from the side of the abdomen or the rear?

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
Oh ok that doesnt look great. Is that coming from the side of the abdomen or the rear?
Left side only. I thought of super glue, but even if it worked, would it make it past the next molt? I literally know nothing about mantis, pretty much the first time I've seen one...

basin79

ArachnoGod
Left side only. I thought of super glue, but even if it worked, would it make it past the next molt? I literally know nothing about mantis, pretty much the first time I've seen one...
It's an adult so won't moult again. Looking at the pic I'd put the poor thing out if it's misery. Looks a terrible wound.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately thats what i was thinking too. Dont give it to any of your tarantulas (if you have some) though as its wild caught.

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately thats what i was thinking too. Dont give it to any of your tarantulas (if you have some) though as its wild caught.
I wouldn't even think of doing it. I wanted to keep it as a pet, tho...
It's an adult so won't moult again. Looking at the pic I'd put the poor thing out if it's misery. Looks a terrible wound.
Funny thing is I posted my case in a mantis forum and my only reply so far, from a veteran, is " looks like eggs to me" :banghead::banghead::banghead:

EVERYDAY I love AB more and more. You guys are awesome.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
If you know what a mantis ooth looks like then you know that is incorrect. They may be eggs amongst the guts coming out of the injury but its not very helpful.
Sorry to have to be the bearers of bad news on this one though. :(
With this being an adult mantis, if you go out looking for them now chances are the other wild ones will all be of a similar size and easier to see, so you may be able to find another.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Also, this appears to be a M. religiosa, so if you go looking in the next month or two you should be able to spot some ooths if you know where to look for the mantids now. Quite a rewarding experience to hatch out a bunch of nymphs and raise them to adulthood.

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
If you know what a mantis ooth looks like then you know that is incorrect. They may be eggs amongst the guts coming out of the injury but its not very helpful.
Sorry to have to be the bearers of bad news on this one though. :(
With this being an adult mantis, if you go out looking for them now chances are the other wild ones will all be of a similar size and easier to see, so you may be able to find another.
I believe it is a male, so even then... But if there's nothing I can do, there's nothing i can do... I might look for another one, but it wont live for much longer right? Their life expectancy is generally spring to spring, am i right?

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
Also, this appears to be a M. religiosa, so if you go looking in the next month or two you should be able to spot some ooths if you know where to look for the mantids now. Quite a rewarding experience to hatch out a bunch of nymphs and raise them to adulthood.
I do live in a rural area... Any tips on what kind of spots am I looking for?

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Yeah once adult its a case of a couple of months for male and a little longer for females usually, though if you find a wild adult female she has likely been mated already.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
*googles rural Portugal*
We are not blessed with wild mantids in the UK so i have only had the chance to find them abroad. Most of the time i found them in buildings to be honest, but otherwise it has been near water sources where there is heavier foliage and more flying insects about. That or large flowering plants attracting bees etc.