DYI inexpensive arboreal sling enclosure with bonus candy ! *pic heavy

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Hi, I've been using ferrero rocher containers for my terrestrial slings for some time now, but I've decided to step it up! Here's how I did the arboreal one! This cost me less than 5€ altogether.
You'll need:
- A box of ferrero rocher
- super glue/silicone/.. basically something to glue the plastic
- a hinge
- drill
- pliers
- hand saw
- sand paper
- a pin

Okay. so let's go.

DSC_0440[1].JPG

Step 1. Take the lid off and saw it in two parts. I chose the bottom part to be 4cm long. Cut it slowly so it doesn't crack because this plastic is really thin. Sand down the edges so they are nice smooth and even.
DSC_0441[1].JPG

Step 2. Glue the smaller part to the bottom. This will hold the substrate and water when it's standing up.
DSC_0443[1].JPG

Step 3. put the bigger part of the lid on and glue the hinge in the middle of the bottom part and in the middle of the upper part like this DSC_0444[1].JPG

Step 4. Now your upper part will open like this DSC_0445[1].JPG

Step 5. Drill a tiny hole in the middle of the top of the container, where the lid and the box overlap. DSC_0446[1].JPG
Step 6. Snip the point off of the pin so the T won't get hurt, but dont snip all of it. This will secure your lid from opening.

DSC_0447[1].JPG

Step 7. Insert the pin in the hole to lock your doors. (without it it might open on its own)
DSC_0448[1].JPG

DSC_0449[1].JPG

Step 8. Drill holes for ventilation. Do this carefully so the plastic doesn't crack
DSC_0450[1].JPG

That's your finished product!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How many millimeters do you recommend to leave between the 2 cut pieces? Some people may want to know.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
How many millimeters do you recommend to leave between the 2 cut pieces? Some people may want to know.
Oh I think I just have one.. Its only as much as it was lost during cutting. I think it will work with a perfect fit as well as with a bigger gap. Just have to make sure that its small enough to keep the spider inside :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh I think I just have one.. Its only as much as it was lost during cutting. I think it will work with a perfect fit as well as with a bigger gap. Just have to make sure that its small enough to keep the spider inside :D
Much appreciated mate! Yea can't have any prison escapes ;):D

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Time frame, start to completion, minus decorations?
Well if you have everything on hand, and not counting the glue drying, I would say about 10 min tops.. Sawing takes a minute, drilling takes about five, (depending whether or not you want the holes to be randomly placed) and overall asembly takes about 3 mins.. If you used superglue, this would be completed in about 15mins overall.. If you're quick with the tools and know how to use them properly :) It's really not that difficult to put together.

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
Is there a reason most arboreal enclosures use this type of "hatch" over one that on top? Seems its easier for a T too escape.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is there a reason most arboreal enclosures use this type of "hatch" over one that on top? Seems its easier for a T too escape.
In a vertical (arboreal) cage, it's easier to do cage maintenance from the front than from the top, especially if your tarantula has webbed near the top of the cage.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
This style eliminates the "jack-in-the box" effect, common with arboreal slings. Many use 16/32 oz. deli cups, simply add holes, a bit of sub, cork for climbing and foilage for anchor points. Quick, simple and cheap, plus if you need 1 or 2 most deli dept. will give them free.
@ledzeppelin, went grocery shopping this AM, saw those, quite flimsy. Actually too flimsy for me to modify. To each their own, I suppose, yours is a unique modification though. Your time frame is about the same as the 40 oz. containers I modify for arboreal slings. No hinges or latches required, just a different style and opens from the bottom. Been using for 2+ years without an escape. :)

Attachments

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
I actually am using a 32oz. deli cup (i got from my job which is basically a deli) for my T. Gigas i was just curious if there were any advantages to having the hatch on the sides which OP exexplained :)

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
This style eliminates the "jack-in-the box" effect, common with arboreal slings. Many use 16/32 oz. deli cups, simply add holes, a bit of sub, cork for climbing and foilage for anchor points. Quick, simple and cheap, plus if you need 1 or 2 most deli dept. will give them free.
@ledzeppelin, went grocery shopping this AM, saw those, quite flimsy. Actually too flimsy for me to modify. To each their own, I suppose, yours is a unique modification though. Your time frame is about the same as the 40 oz. containers I modify for arboreal slings. No hinges or latches required, just a different style and opens from the bottom. Been using for 2+ years without an escape. :)
I like the square aesthetics and elegancy with my enclosures :p I don't like deli cups.. Although I have to use them for some. :p

mitty

Arachnopeon
I like the square aesthetics and elegancy with my enclosures :p I don't like deli cups.. Although I have to use them for some. :p
These look awesome! Relatively inexpensive as well. I'm currently housing my arboreals in 32 oz. deli cups and I am actually getting very tired of disturbing the tenants while opening the lids. These would be perfect for the size slings I currently have. Might have to try and find some of these candies in the states!