Dwarfs & Fleas

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Got some C.elegans today - cute little buggers. I thought they were small, until I opened the vials with the C.ritae 2nd instars...also known affectionately as 'fleas'. LOL Man are they little! Had to get the macro lens out just to see them! Decided to take some shots while I was at it.

My wife decided to name her C.elegans "Fran"...LOL
One of the littlest tarantulas named after one of the biggest guys on the boards! (Not really, she did name the tarantula Fran but after The Nanny, not Fran...but in my mind, it'll always be you, Fran! LOL)

C.elegans:

Fleas - a.k.a. C.ritae 2nd instar LOL:

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hope you got a pair to name the second one Mr. Sheffield! Lol!

Thanks for sharing! :)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's either a 6-inch dime, or my eyes are playing tricks on me.
It is the smallest T I have EVER seen...IO mean it is the size of a ant! No joke LOL!! Actually a fruit fly is bigger:eek:

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got 3 C. elegans an love them I couldnt belive how small they were. Mine a 1/4" now and showing adult colors there amazing little boogers.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It is the smallest T I have EVER seen...IO mean it is the size of a ant! No joke LOL!! Actually a fruit fly is bigger:eek:
They dont grow fast either!!! I rather watch grass grow.... than waiting on them to get full grown!! slowest growing species in my collect!!!!

Congrats!!! Their great little guys as long as u have the patience!!!!

Peace!!!!

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
C. ritae hatchlings are big by Cyriocosmus standards, twice the size of a C. leetzi or C. elegans when they hatch, so not that small!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
C. ritae hatchlings are big by Cyriocosmus standards, twice the size of a C. leetzi or C. elegans when they hatch, so not that small!
Any smaller & I wouldn't own it LOL!!

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Lol What the snap are you gonna feed it.
Hmm, you could cut Fruit flys in half if you got that kind of skill with a knife{D :rolleyes:

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Lol What the snap are you gonna feed it.
Hmm, you could cut Fruit flys in half if you got that kind of skill with a knife{D :rolleyes:
OR you could act like that guy from Wanted and shoot the wings down. Bullets are thicker than knives :) .

Anyways, I would cut a pinhead cricket in half and feed it to the sling.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OR you could act like that guy from Wanted and shoot the wings down. Bullets are thicker than knives :) .

Anyways, I would cut a pinhead cricket in half and feed it to the sling.
LOL! That is what i am doing!

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
I got 3 C. elegans an love them I couldnt belive how small they were. Mine a 1/4" now and showing adult colors there amazing little boogers.
Same deal here, same amount AND the same size. I'm surprised how they can take down prey. I got them at 3rd instar, I think, and they were about the same size as the 2nd instar ritae and they had no problems taking down flightless fruit flies. And the colors in this genus are stunning! Great addition!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha well let me tell you Rob, that elegans is GORGEOUS {D {D

Im gonna have to talk to Dani {D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
haha well let me tell you Rob, that elegans is GORGEOUS {D {D

Im gonna have to talk to Dani {D
I have to say it....do you have a heart on your butt???? LOL!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!{D{D{D

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
awsome pics!

yea those are small, but i gotta say c.elegans takes the cake, but dont get me wront, they are ALL specks of dust at that size :p{D

ive gotten my elegans to mature in one year (boys and girls) from hatch to sac production, so i assume with some heavy feeding (which isnt hard because like...any meal fills them up the brim) c.ritae also mature at similar speed?

one species i need to add to my collection, good luck with em!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Darn...now I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a sling feeding video with fleas. LOL, JK!! ;P{D

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Darn...now I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a sling feeding video with fleas. LOL, JK!! ;P{D
When I saw this thread, the first thing I thought was "What the heck does he have that needs to feed FLEAS to!?!" {D