Dwarf tarantula

JokR506

Arachnopeon
I have a dwarf tarantula and was wondering if there is anything specific I need to know about dwarfs. The main question I have is do dwarf tarantula molt as often as regular tarantula? The previous owner of my tarantula said that it has been about a year since her last molt. I think she is pre-molt but I am uncertain and can't very much information on dwarf tarantula. Thanks for any help.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It would be helpful to know what genus/species of dwarf tarantula you have. As with full-size tarantulas, different species will have different requirements. Also, can you post pictures of her? That may help to indicate whether she is pre-molt or not.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Euathlus parvulus is not a dwarf T.

A T will molt more frequently when young and less frequently when grows older. This sp. is a slow grower and should max out at around 4".4.5"

Also, as I have mentioned to you before, you need to fill that enclosure up with much more substrate.

I also mentioned to stop feeding this T as it is obese and will possibly end up dead from a fall somepoint soon.

I am not trying to have a go but I do worry about your T.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Care is determined by natural conditions of the species' natural habitat, not their adult size :)

JokR506

Arachnopeon
Euathlus parvulus is not a dwarf T.

A T will molt more frequently when young and less frequently when grows older. This sp. is a slow grower and should max out at around 4".4.5"

Also, as I have mentioned to you before, you need to fill that enclosure up with much more substrate.

I also mentioned to stop feeding this T as it is obese and will possibly end up dead from a fall somepoint soon.

I am not trying to have a go but I do worry about your T.
How much substrate should be in there? I added more after you told me but I guess it wasn't enough. I have not fed her for almost a month. In the time that I have had her she has only eaten once.

JokR506

Arachnopeon
Thank you for letting me know that she is in fact not a dwarf. The person I got her from said she was and I trusted her knowledge. Any other advice is much appreciated, I am new to tarantulas and I really want to take care of her as best I can. Please and thank you.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Keep it dry. Don't spray or anything. Just refill waterdish when empty. That's basically it. Feed it as you would any T - once or twice a week is enough. This species does not burrow, so just add enough substrate to make a fatal fall impossible. I would add a few inches of substrate if thats your enclosure in the picture.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How much substrate should be in there? I added more after you told me but I guess it wasn't enough. I have not fed heto thealmost a month. In the time that I have had her she has only eaten once.
A month without food is no reason
to worry, especially when the abdomen is this size. She could go three months without food and be fine. Substrate should be raised to the point when there is 1.5-2 times her diagonal legspan between the substrate and the top of her enclosure.
That tank is fairly big, you could get a medium Kritter Keeper to house so you don't have to add so much substrate.
Supply a hide and a waterdish, keep the last one full, and she should be fine. She doesn't look pre molt to me, but she is fat enough to last for a while, probably until she molts.
I had an E.campestratus lasting six months without food until she molted, don't worry about food ;)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This species is terrestrial but are known to wonder and climb. For terrestrials I tend to just leave the 1.5 the legs pan from the top of the substrate to the top of enclosure.. If you know what I mean.. It is kind of rule of the thumb as to avoid nasty accident.

I housed my AF E. parvulus in a large Exo Terra faunarium with cork hide and a water dish with some fake plants. These are great display species. A little decor never hurts... Unless it was a fall onto from considerable amount of height and especially if the part of the exo that holds some vital organs is very thin and fragile..

..reduce feeding and risk of fall and its win, win friend. ;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I didn't realize they weren't considered dwarfs either. My Euathlus parvulus (Paraphysa parvula) was also sold to me as a dwarf. I thought 4" was about the max they top out at.
Learn something new every day.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I didn't realize they weren't considered dwarfs either. My Euathlus parvulus was also sold to me as a dwarf. I thought 4" was about the max they top out at.
Learn something new every day.
There are many,many small species out there eh? Heheh

I love the dwarves but I would class anything that maxes 3" or under dwarf. But there is no specific rule to it. I guess its just opinion really..

Someone who keep birdeaters would more likely look at Euathlus parvulus/truculentus as a dwarf aha

They have similar colours and paterns to dwarf sp. from same localities but grow a bit larger than say some Phrixotrichus.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There are many,many small species out there eh? Heheh

I love the dwarves but I would class anything that maxes 3" or under dwarf. But there is no specific rule to it. I guess its just opinion really..

Someone who keep birdeaters would more likely look at Euathlus parvulus/truculentus as a dwarf aha

They have similar colours and paterns to dwarf sp. from same localities but grow a bit larger than say some Phrixotrichus.
E.sp.Red also stays small from what i've gathered, but also technical not a dwarf right?
Maybe the Euathlus-genus is a bit smaller overall. Don't know about the other species in it though.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
E.sp.Red also stays small from what i've gathered, but also technical not a dwarf right?
Maybe the Euathlus-genus is a bit smaller overall. Don't know about the other species in it though.
I see Euathlus sp. red as a small species but still not dwarf.

Euathlus sp. yellow I would consider dwarf

'Blue/Green Femur' are small medium. My Blue was nearly 5" when I sold her.

All the species currently in the genus are great IMO :angelic:

There is was some sp. recently moved around from Euathlus/Phrixotrichus/Paraphysa that are dwarfs.

There are quite a few dwarf baboons too.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Lets not forget the Neoholothele, Holothele, Heterothele and Dolichothele :rolleyes:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see Euathlus sp. red as a small species but still not dwarf.

Euathlus sp. yellow I would consider dwarf
Such discriminatory behavior is intolerable! You may need to surrender your entire collection to...ME ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Lets not forget the Neoholothele, Holothele, Heterothele and Dolichothele :rolleyes:
Oh i know there are lots of dwarf species, but i was trying to say that i know sp.Red stays small, but that i don't know about the other species in genus Euathlus, and was wondering if the whole genus stays smaller than other genera.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Oh i know there are lots of dwarf species, but i was trying to say that i know sp.Red stays small, but that i don't know about the other species in genus Euathlus, and was wondering if the whole genus stays smaller than other genera.
I get you. I was just showing my enthusiasm towards small species. I wish I could get my hands on some more.. and then some more.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My sp blue does seem larger than a dwarf -- but still, not a large T by any measuring standard.

(actually, not very blue by most measuring standards either --lol)