Dwarf Tarantula ID thread

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
If one of these already exists, then I apologize. I ran a search, and found a variety of posts, but nothing specifically that compiled names and photos of TRUE Dwarf Tarantula species. Let me start off the list with my Favorites!

Aphonopelma paloma
Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai", "paramoguli" (Eastern Mojave complex)
Aphonopelma joshua
Aphonopelma mojave

PLEASE feel free to add to this comprehensive list with pictures, and species info...

Last edited:

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Ben, that picture of A. joshua is not actually joshua. Its mojave. I dont have pics of joshua anymore and that one was mislabeled. And don't use the name paramoguli anymore lol! we talked about that one, remember?? Oh, and if you are wanting to add my pictures to a list or whatever, would be nice if you would ask me first ;)

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mmmmmmmmm dwarves...I need more,but cannot bring myself to really take any :(

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
Joshua there looks PISSED off. You're braver than me, holding that sucker with his fangs out.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Once again, that is NOT aphonopelma joshua!!! it is aphonopelma mojave. The photo is mislabeled!!!!!!!!!!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you would have read the other posts you would have figured that out. I posted it already. I dont mean to be a grumpy butt and wasnt trying to take anything out on you, but that is a spider I found, that is my hand in the picture, and taken with my camera. when someone else posts my photos on their thread, I would at least like it to be labeled properly.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Hey Ben, that picture of A. joshua is not actually joshua. Its mojave. I dont have pics of joshua anymore and that one was mislabeled. And don't use the name paramoguli anymore lol! we talked about that one, remember?? Oh, and if you are wanting to add my pictures to a list or whatever, would be nice if you would ask me first ;)
I removed them. I was just going off the ATShq thread where they originally were listed, as well as when I last asked you permission if I could use your Dwarf Aphonopelma images, as they are likely the BEST on the web. Sorry if I upset you, as well as any mislabeling that took place. I've since removed them completely, and if you choose, please share your Dwarf pics here, for what I'm sure can be an AMAZING DWARF TARANTULA EXTRAVAGANZA thread!!!

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Dwarf List growing

O.K., so far we have the Dwarf Aphonopelmas listed

-Aphonopelma paloma
-Aphonopelma mojave
-Aphonopelma joshua
-Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai"

and now I'd like to add the obvious Cyriocosmus to the list.

-Cyriocosmus elegans
-Cyriocosmus ritae
-Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
-Cyriocosmus leetzi
-Cyriocosmus bertae

not a bad list, but I KNOW there's more.

-Holothele incei
-Heterothele villosella
-Ami yupanqui

Do any of you other dwarf fans know of any others? If anyone has any photos, to accompany any of these species listed so far, please post them here so that we can hopefully try build a comprehensive Dwarf page, (or at least one that doesn't die before page 3):razz:.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's some to look at:
Paraphysa species
Cyrtopholis portoricae
Cyclosternum fasciatum
E. pachypus
Avicularia minatrix
Yamia sp. "Koh Samui"

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, to clear things up a bit, spiders that get larger than say 2.5 to 3 inch legspan just arent dwarf species. I see C. fasciatum listed as a dwarf often but they can get rather big. I wouldn't consider them a dwarf

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Ben, no hard feelings man. I know you are a good guy and had no bad intentions at all.

Check out some of the euathlus, hapalopus, and bonnetina as well.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Josh, No worries at all. I did mean to add Euathlus to the group. Thanks for the heads up on that . I'll have to check out the Hapalopus, and Bonnetina as well. My opinion also resides somewhere very close to yours on this as well. TRUE Dwarfs, are not simply just smaller Tarantulas, but actually a DWARF by true definition, having differing genetics, and characteristic differences beyond just merely being "small".

Chris, MANY Thanks for the additional species as well. I'm going to have a LOT of reading to do I can see.{D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hope a good list can get compiled. I've been meaning to do some research and get one up on my site, but haven't had time.

JOHN 3:16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with Josh r, spiders that get larger than say 3 inch legspan just arent dwarf species. Another dwarf specie I have that doesn't get 2 inches is Phlogiellus baeri.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I was looking around and found several listed on this page.

http://english.turkcebilgi.com/Mecicobothriidae

Hope that helps some.
Those are mecicobothriids, they are not tarantulas in the sense that tarantulas = Theraphosidae. Common names suck. What Ben is aiming at here, I think, is to find small-sized theraphosids, otherwise there are loads of other mygalomorphs out there that are 1-2-3" big (small).

Hey Ben, I forgot to mention Magulla in that PM, Magulla obesa for sure.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those are not tarantulas in the sense that tarantulas = Theraphosidae. Common names suck. What Ben is aiming at here, I think is to find small-sized theraphosids, otherwise there are loads of other mygalomorphs out there that are 1-2-3" big (small).

Hey Ben, I forgot to mention Magulla in that PM, Magulla obesa for sure.
Oh, I see now. My apologies, glanced over the identification too quickly, didnt notice they were listed under Mygalomorphs.

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are also some more Aphonopelma's that are not on the list. Some of them in NM. I will have to check my list to make sure. I am pretty sure that the A. paloma are the smallest.

Hans

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are also some more Aphonopelma's that are not on the list. Some of them in NM. I will have to check my list to make sure. I am pretty sure that the A. paloma are the smallest.

Hans
"hualapai" is actually smaller than paloma. The little dwarf species in new mexico are very nice! When I went to west texas, I found a dwarf there that is supposedly something completely new. I really don't know if this is true, either way, its a cool little spider!

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Enough Teasing already!!!

Come on folks, POST YOUR Dwafs pics!!!!! New Mexico? Texas? Heck even the ones we KNOW of, PLEASE LET US SEE SOME PICS!!!