Dwarf Tarantula Genus and Species List

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I wanted to try and put up a slightly more comprehensive and one-stop-shop list of what dwarf that we currently have, or have had, in the US hobby. Started with being a tad bored at work this week and I just started putting together a list of the species I would love to have, cause I love the small guys, but figured It might be beneficial to post as well.

There may be more, that may or may not be in the hobby, and are undescribed and a lot of the dwarfs in South America are in messy genera with lots of reclassification and so Im doing my best to my knowledge. I tried to really only deal with described species, as including undescribed on this list at this time is subject to change. But there are some "sp." on the list as I have seen them more regularly.

And I alphabetized them for ease and organization. These are just the ones I could think of easily of the top of my head based off what I have seen, in the hobby with some stability. I also didnt feel like killing myself spending hours and hours looking for species that are undesribed, and rare and nnot stable in the hobby and making some huge project out of it. If theres some genera or species I missed, comment and ill add it to the list and we can have an even better more complete list! Hope this is helpful to the hobby folks in someway, if not Ive got a list for myself, posted that I cant loose :rofl: .

Aphonopelma- (Not in hobby with stability, but couldnt leave Aphonopelma out, but I have seen these have come up from time to time after revision) (I think theres more but I havent seen them in the hobby) (comment if you have a different one annd ill add it)
Aphonopelma marxi
Aphonopelma paloma
Aphonopelma parvum
Aphonopelma saguro
Aphonopelma superstitionense
Aphonopelma vogela

Cardiopelma-
Cardiopelma mascatum

Catanduba-
Catanduba flavohirta
Catanduba peruacu
Catanduba simoni

Catumiri-
Catumiri cf. argentinense (may have been elevated)

Cyriocosmus-
Cyriocosmus bertae
Cyriocosmus bicolor (ex. chocoi)
Cyriocosmus elegans
Cyriocosmus giganteus
Cyriocosmus leetzi
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
Cyriocosmus ritae
(There are more but im not sure they are in the hobby, or dont see them regularly)

Dolichothele-
Dolichothele diamantinensis
Dolichothele rufoniger

Euathlus- (Messy) (some bigger some smaller)
Euathlus affinis (not sure in the hobby anymore, or reclassified)
Euathlus condorito
Euathlus parvulus
Euathlus sp. pulcherrimaklassi (Homoeomma maybe, maybe elevated idk?)

Euthycaleus sp.
(not sure if any have been described and or are readily in the hobby, but sometimes pop up)

Hapalopus-
Hapalopus sp. columbia large
Hapalopus sp. small/klein
Hapalopus triseriatus

Haplocosmia-
Haplocosmia himalayana (around 4in MF)
Haplocosmia (sp.) nepalensis (around 2in MF)

Harpactirella-
Harpactirella lightfooti (sp.?)
Harpactirella overdijki (sp.?)
(not sure the official status on this genera)

Heterothele-
Heterothele gabonensis
Heterothele villosella

Holothele-
Holothele longipes

Homoeomma (messy and I cant keep up with this genus)-
Homoeomma chilensis (ex. Euathlus sp. red)
Homoeomma orellanai (ex. Euathlus sp. yellow)
Homoeomma uruguayense

Ischnocolinae
Ischnocolinae sp. "dominican republic" (maybe Homoeomma? Subfamily is easier)

Kochiana-
Kochiana brunnipes

Neichnocolus-
Neischnocolus sp. Colombia
Neichnocolus sp. Panama (formerly Ami)

Neoholothele-
Neoholothele fasciaaurinigra
Neoholothele Incei (Gold & Olive)

Neostenotarsus-
Neostenotarsus sp. Suriname

Phlogiellus-
Phlogiellus baeri

Plesiopelma-
Plesiopelma sp. Bolivia

Psuedohapalopus-
Pseudohapalopus sp. columbia
Pseudohapalopus sp. blue

Theraphosinae-
Theraphosinae sp. "Panama

Typhochlaena-
Typhochlaena curumim
Typhochlaena seladonia

And I may to add to this thread put up care info for each genera if work is really slow and have some free time, as a project.

Last edited:

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Great list! Dwarves are my jam as well. Couple tweaks:
Euathlus sp. red -> now Homoeomma chilensis
Euathlus sp. yellow -> now Homoeomma orellanai
There's also a Hapalopus triseratus in the hobby, just not super common.
I think Cyclosternum is another genus of dwarves, but I don't have any nor done much research on them so I could be wrong.
Bumba cabocla (synonmized to Bumba horrida, but cabocla is more fun to say) gets to like 3.5". I think they're pretty cool
Theraphosinae sp. panama gets to the 3.5" - 4" range. I really want one. They're pricey, but OMG they're gorgeous.

Cheers!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Great list! Dwarves are my jam as well. Couple tweaks:
Euathlus sp. red -> now Homoeomma chilensis
Euathlus sp. yellow -> now Homoeomma orellanai
There's also a Hapalopus triseratus in the hobby, just not super common.
I think Cyclosternum is another genus of dwarves, but I don't have any nor done much research on them so I could be wrong.
Bumba cabocla (synonmized to Bumba horrida, but cabocla is more fun to say) gets to like 3.5". I think they're pretty cool
Theraphosinae sp. panama gets to the 3.5" - 4" range. I really want one. They're pricey, but OMG they're gorgeous.

Cheers!
Awesome I’ll make those changes and additions!! Glad there’s another dwarf jammer that responded!!

oh and I know about the Theraphosinae!! Beautiful looking!!

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Awesome I’ll make those changes and additions!! Glad there’s another dwarf jammer that responded!!

Ooh just remembered some arboreals for the list: Avicularia minatrix and Avicularia purpurea. I think they max out around 3".

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Ooh just remembered some arboreals for the list: Avicularia minatrix and Avicularia purpurea. I think they max out around 3".
Oh yeah how did I forget Avicularia, one of my favorite genera lol? I thought purpurea got closer to 5in? Or is it smaller more like minatrix?

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Oh yeah how did I forget Avicularia, one of my favorite genera lol? I thought purpurea got closer to 5in? Or is it smaller more like minatrix?
😂 I have a MF A purpurea that's about 3", but that's my only real-life experience with them so far. Googling around I see people saying everything from 2" max to 5" max, so now I'm not so sure

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
😂 I have a MF A purpurea that's about 3", but that's my only real-life experience with them so far. Googling around I see people saying everything from 2" max to 5" max, so now I'm not so sure
Yeah I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ I mean you are right if that’s the size of yours, I think I’ve seen bigger idk. I’ll add them and add a size range!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
3'' is not what I consider a mature female. More of the 3.5'' for a mature (enough) female, but the only female I've seen in person was only around 4'' (maybe a little bigger), but this is just a estimate as the T. was curled in its hide, but I was still close enough to see one in person. Which they look somewhat darker in person than how they do on the internet. Wow, 2'' for an adult? What a funny thing to hear for an A. purpurea. :rofl:

I wouldn't even consider A. purpurea as a dwarf species, they're just slow growing but that's about it. I wouldn't consider any 4'' species to be a dwarf, but then again this hobby is subjective on that matter.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Would a chaetopelma ovalacium be considered a dwarf since they only get to be like 4 inches?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn't consider any 4'' species to be a dwarf, but then again this hobby is subjective on that matter.
Yeah I don’t either, personally but the hobby is subjective on it luke you said and occasionally they are referred to as that, that’s why I included the around 4in in the list anyway, with a size so people know they’re not actually a dwarf.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My only request from a fellow dwarf enthusiast who is new to the hobby, any chance you can add a picture of each referenced dwarf species? Would save me and perhaps others a lot of copy paste into Google. Then maybe this will get made a sticky.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My only request from a fellow dwarf enthusiast who is new to the hobby, any chance you can add a picture of each referenced dwarf species? Would save me and perhaps others a lot of copy paste into Google. Then maybe this will get made a sticky.
Yeah I could probably do that, good idea! I’ll start gathering pictures and permissions to use other folks pictures!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Cyriocosmus bertae isn't really in the hobby. What has been sold as bertae is really Cyriocosmus aueri.

Phlogiellus baeri
Euathlus condorito
Davus ruficeps
Hapalopus triseriatus
Typhochlaena curumim has found it's way into the hobby.

No Thrixopelma species is dwarf, not even close.
Avicularia purpurea is also too large with females topping out at 4".

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
So I'm a dwarf fan as well.

Cyriocosmus leetzi (coming Tuesday!)
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
Hapalopus sp. columbia (large) X2

A GBB and C. Versicolor round out my collection.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Loving this too. I have a couple named but looking to add more. Now I have a shopping list! Thanks!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Subjective:

I’m a dwarf fan- but even I don’t consider 4”’a dwarf, even 3” is not a dwarf to me, just small.

So if 4” is not actually dwarf like you wrote , then they shouldn’t actually be on the list! :cool: :watchingyou:

No need to indulge people that are off the reservation on size!

Like minatrix- my AF isn’t a dwarf

2.5” or less dwarf

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
I wanted to try and put up a slightly more comprehensive and one-stop-shop list of what dwarfs, and those kinda related size wise around 4in and under (so not all true dwarfs), that we currently have, or have had, in the US hobby. Started with being a tad bored at work this week and I just started putting together a list of the species I would love to have, cause I love the small guys, but figured It might be beneficial to post as well.

There may be more, that may or may not be in the hobby, and are undescribed and a lot of the dwarfs in South America are in messy genera with lots of reclassification and so Im doing my best to my knowledge. (The ones with sizes are the non-true dwarfs but rather just small tarantulas). I tried to really only deal with described species, as including undescribed on this list at this time is subject to change. But there are some "sp." on the list as I have seen them more regularly.

And I alphabetized them for ease and organization. These are just the ones I could think of easily of the top of my head based off what I have seen, in the hobby with some stability. I also didnt feel like killing myself spending hours and hours looking for species that are undesribed, and rare and nnot stable in the hobby and making some huge project out of it. If theres some genera or species I missed, comment and ill add it to the list and we can have an even better more complete list! Hope this is helpful to the hobby folks in someway, if not Ive got a list for myself, posted that I cant loose :rofl: .

Aphonopelma- (Not in hobby with stability, but couldnt leave Aphonopelma out, but I have seen these have come up from time to time after revision) (I think theres more but I havent seen them in the hobby) (comment if you have a different one annd ill add it)
Aphonopelma marxi
Aphonopelma paloma
Aphonopelma parvum
Aphonopelma saguro
Aphonopelma superstitionense
Aphonopelma vogelae

Avicularia-
Avicularia minatrix

Bumba-
Bumba cabocla (synonmized to Bumba horrida) (3.5in MF)

Cardiopelma-
Cardiopelma mascatum

Catumiri-
Catumiri cf. argentinense (may have been elevated)

Cyriocosmus-
Cyriocosmus bertae
Cyriocosmus bicolor (ex. chocoi)
Cyriocosmus elegans
Cyriocosmus giganteus
Cyriocosmus leetzi
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
Cyriocosmus ritae
(There are more but im not sure they are in the hobby, or dont see them regularly)

Davus-
Davus pentaloris (around 4in MF)

Dolichothele-
Dolichothele diamantinensis
Dolichothele rufoniger

Euathlus- (Messy) (some bigger some smaller)
Euathlus affinis (not sure in the hobby anymore, or reclassified)
Euathlus condorito
Euathlus parvulus
Euathlus sp. pulcherrimaklassi (Homoeomma maybe, maybe elevated idk?)

Eucratoscelus-
Eucratoscelus pachypus (Large dwarf maybe 4in-4.5in MF)

Euthycaleus sp.
(not sure if any have been described and or are readily in the hobby, but sometimes pop up)

Hapalopus-
Hapalopus sp. columbia large
Hapalopus sp. small/klein
Hapalopus triseriatus

Haplocosmia-
Haplocosmia himalayana (around 4in MF)
Haplocosmia (sp.) nepalensis (around 2in MF)

Harpactirella-
Harpactirella lightfooti (sp.?)
Harpactirella overdijki (sp.?)
(not sure the official status on this genera)

Heterothele-
Heterothele gabonensis
Heterothele villosella

Holothele-
Holothele longipes

Homoeomma (messy and I cant keep up with this genus)-
Homoeomma chilensis (ex. Euathlus sp. red)
Homoeomma orellanai (ex. Euathlus sp. yellow)
Homoeomma uruguayense

Ischnocolinae sp. "dominican republic" (maybe Homoeomma? Subfamily is easier)

Kochiana-
Kochiana brunnipes

Neichnocolus-
Neichnocolus sp. Panama (formerly Ami)

Neoholothele-
Neoholothele fasciaaurinigra
Neoholothele Incei (Gold & Olive)

Neostenotarsus-

Plesiopelma-
Plesiopelma sp. Bolivia

Psuedohapalopus-
Pseudohapalopus sp. columbia
Pseudohapalopus sp. blue

Theraphosinae-
Theraphosinae sp. "Panama

Typhochlaena-
Typhochlaena seladonia

And I may to add to this thread put up care info for each genera if work is really slow and have some free time, as a project.
Bumba horrida is definately not a dwarf. My adult females last molt was 4.75". I agree with the others, I don't understand including 'small' tarantulas on this list.