Dwarf T question

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am interested in getting some dwarf T's but most of what I read about them say they are obligated burrowers. Are there any dwarf species that are not? Will giving them a good hide be suitable or will they still want to burrow?

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Depends on your experience as there are quite a few old world dwarfs

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do not have any old world tarantula experience. Preferably looking for something not too skittish or defensive and will be visible as much as possible.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Homoeomma species are good options, too, but they're expensive when you can find them.

Most dwarf species are going to hide away when young (slings and young juvies), but they'll get more confidence and stay out more as they grow.

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
Pseudhapalopus sp are often outside
Neoholothele incei is quite often out on the web (in the evening)
Neischnocolus sp. Panama does not really burrow
My Cyriocosmus elegans is often visible
If you like small arboreals, my Avicularia minatrix is often outside too.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Homoeomma species are good options, too, but they're expensive when you can find them.

Most dwarf species are going to hide away when young (slings and young juvies), but they'll get more confidence and stay out more as they grow.
They are expensive and tiny, but seem to be somewhat more available. At least four venders currently have the H. chilense and two also have the Orellanai (yellow).
Hopefully more will be bred and the prices will come down.

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I am really interested in the Neischnocolus sp. Panama. Seems like this will check a lot of the boxes for me. I do realize that all T's have different personalities so it could be hit or miss. Cyriocosmus elegans and Davus pentaloris are also at the top of my list too. I am going to an expo this weekend. Hopefully I can find some good choices. I will post some pics if I find any new friends to bring home!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Both Neoholothele and some Cyriocosmus and quite bold and out even when small!

lindale450

Arachnopeon
Both Neoholothele and some Cyriocosmus and quite bold and out even when small!

My female incei is quite shy and skittish, see her sitting at the entrance of a web tunnel in the evenings if I’m lucky, very cool spiders though. The only Cyriocosmus I have so far is the ritae

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am interested in getting some dwarf T's but most of what I read about them say they are obligated burrowers. Are there any dwarf species that are not? Will giving them a good hide be suitable or will they still want to burrow?
I've owned quite a smaller Ts. Incei IME form web tunnels, not a single burrow. Dropping a cricket in w/them is WILD fun, it's like whack a mole. Hide vs burrow- some species are bound to burrow, but there is specimen variability too. Many of the Tiger Striped species are bold and ferocious eaters. I have a couple and they tend to be out, BUT they are provided plastic plants to web up to use as shelter. No burrows for 2 years w/them. One is an AF and perhaps that has something to do it with.