Dwarf Gouramis

Pogi5

Arachnopeon
Anyone ever taken care of dwarf gouramis? Do they need constantly flowing water for oxygen (i.e. tank with pump) or can they do fine in a setup similar to that for a betta? I've read that they're labyrinth fish (like bettas) and can take in atmospheric air. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
-Vince

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ive kept them in the past,can be kept like the betta,but being in a filtered tank/live plants would be better,hope this helps alittle.:)

Conrad

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately my experience with gouramis of all varities have never been good. They've all died in quick order. I've had them all living with other fish in well established tanks, without any problems to their co-inhabitants yet they've still popped their clogs within a week or two; does anyone know what could be wrong?

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have kept them for quite sometime, not until I quit and concentrated on scorpions.

From experience, they lived longer if kept in a tank with ample space. Avoid a community tank set-up. Surface area is more important than depth. The more live plants, the better. I also avoided an airstone. I observed that they don't do so well in turbulent water. Instead I used an outside filter which allows to circuate filtered water without so much disturbance. Gouramis are hardy fishes that can tolerate low oxygen level because of their labyrinth gill section. But avoid overfeeding because high nitrogen levels can kill them. I don't know much about heating because I live in the tropics and gouramis thrive in our rivers and ponds.

These are the species I kept in the past.

Colisa lalia - Dwarf gourami, the prettiest in my opinion.
Trichogaster leeri - Pearl gourami
Trichogaster trichopterus - Three-spot gourami, the easiest to keep and breed.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to be a huge fan of air breathing fish
i find dark acidic water do the best for most still pond fish, and that really encourages them to breed, u will need some preparation for the water, clean dried leaves, and lotta moses

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dwarf gourimes are very pretty but don’t live very long there life span is less than 2 years. Which most goriumes can live to be 15 years plus. I would say they really need a tank with a heater and filtration they like there water temp at 82 degrees most betta bowls cannot stay at that temp. Which make the betta the prefect choice.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"popped their clogs "

Is that a good thing or bad thing?

Bettas like thier water warm too though as they are also tropical.