Dwarf appreciation week

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm late w this one, I know. But share your favorite dwarf species, pics and stories!

I've always found my dwarfs (C. Ritae, I. mira, H. Incei, hapalopus sp. Large) are the most ferocious feeders of my collection. I love it!!

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'll post stories tonight, but first, here is the cutest darn H. sp. "Columbia" sling you've ever seen.

That's a drinking straw!
20140905_211728.jpg

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Aww, some of my dwarfs aren't here yet. I'll have to show them off on Wednesday. ;)

For now though...
H.sp Large

I.mira

I was never sure if A.ezendami were dwarfs or not. Some stuff I read said 4 inches and others said 5.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Oh god!! my favorite week LOL
D. diamantinensis
2015-09-18 10.52.47.jpg

C. ritae
2015-08-27 10.51.18.jpg

A minatrix
2015-09-22 14.21.34.jpg
A. paloma
2015-10-07 16.36.25.jpg

E. sp "North"
2015-10-10 13.32.44.jpg
N. icei "Gold"
2016-01-11 15.57.06.jpg

C. elegans
2016-04-18 14.01.41.jpg
E. sp "Yellow"
IMAG1225.jpg

E. sp "Red"
IMAG1233.jpg
H. triseriatus
IMAG1255.jpg

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Horrible picture I know, but it's a 1cm spider :p it's also ghost white because it just finished molting about...3 minutes ago, just took the pic

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Alright! Let's share a story, shall we?

Allow me to introduce you to the Three Musketeers, three N. incei sacmates.
IMG_0292.JPG

They were sac mates that I got as freebies after spending a hefty sum at a particular dealer. I was very excited to get a communal setup - they even ate a few meals together! It was fascinating how they would take down prey as a group, attacking a roach all at once to help take it down. Amazing. So, I fed them one massive prekilled roach and went on vacation. I was only going to be gone three days, no big deal. Well, I come back to what I thought was an empty enclosure. Good God, they all escaped! I tore apart their enclosure only to find a lone tarantula, fat as fat can be, hanging out under a plastic leaf. He almost seemed proud.

I hung my head and rehoused him in an enclosure more suitable for a single tarantula. I failed at a communal attempt, and while I wasn't terribly distraught about it, I was obviously upset. Well, not upset enough, apparently. I hadn't seen this supposedly active spider for days, and once it hit a week, I decided to go searching for him. Nowhere to be seen. This time, he really did escape. That was a waste of freebies, wasn't it? I moved on, and about a week passed. I thought that it was dead for sure; I live in an arid environment, and there's no way that this humid spider would survive. After all, it was still a sling (although a large sling). Long after I gave up, I came home from work one day and got changed into lounging clothes. After changing, I just happened to look down at the floor in front of my shower (which is in front of my closet). There he was. At first, I thought it was a large house spider, but the pattern tipped me off. He didn't even try to scurry away as I scooped him up - it was almost as if he was the typical child that ran away and realized the folly of their ways. He continues to live happily under my care, growing like a weed and refusing to burrow like literally every other N. incei out there. After eating his siblings and escaping, I decided to name him Hannibal.
IMG_0447.JPG

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Alright! Let's share a story, shall we?

Allow me to introduce you to the Three Musketeers, three N. incei sacmates.
View attachment 216429

They were sac mates that I got as freebies after spending a hefty sum at a particular dealer. I was very excited to get a communal setup - they even ate a few meals together! It was fascinating how they would take down prey as a group, attacking a roach all at once to help take it down. Amazing. So, I fed them one massive prekilled roach and went on vacation. I was only going to be gone three days, no big deal. Well, I come back to what I thought was an empty enclosure. Good God, they all escaped! I tore apart their enclosure only to find a lone tarantula, fat as fat can be, hanging out under a plastic leaf. He almost seemed proud.

I hung my head and rehoused him in an enclosure more suitable for a single tarantula. I failed at a communal attempt, and while I wasn't terribly distraught about it, I was obviously upset. Well, not upset enough, apparently. I hadn't seen this supposedly active spider for days, and once it hit a week, I decided to go searching for him. Nowhere to be seen. This time, he really did escape. That was a waste of freebies, wasn't it? I moved on, and about a week passed. I thought that it was dead for sure; I live in an arid environment, and there's no way that this humid spider would survive. After all, it was still a sling (although a large sling). Long after I gave up, I came home from work one day and got changed into lounging clothes. After changing, I just happened to look down at the floor in front of my shower (which is in front of my closet). There he was. At first, I thought it was a large house spider, but the pattern tipped me off. He didn't even try to scurry away as I scooped him up - it was almost as if he was the typical child that ran away and realized the folly of their ways. He continues to live happily under my care, growing like a weed and refusing to burrow like literally every other N. incei out there. After eating his siblings and escaping, I decided to name him Hannibal.
View attachment 216430
That story was an emotional roller coaster! It had everything! Sibling bonding, betreyal, murder, canibalism...o_O

Haha fun story :)

louise f

Arachnoangel

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

Ah ah :) I love those crickets box, they are good for T's

Coconana

Arachnosquire
My buddy and I walked into a pet store last year in November and left with both a MF OBT (for me) and a Hapalopus Sp. "Colombia Large" (for her). She named him Boho, and kept him at my house until he matured in May/June. Now his name's Fernando, and he's still lookin' for a lady.

His hobbies are cricket wrestling and taking long walks around his container looking for the next Mrs. Fernando :rofl:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I had one and regret trading her still that's a picture of an adult female too.
That is such a cute T! I have to say, my A Anax sling looks exactly like this and makes me wonder if it's actually this species! But then again, so many Aphonopelma look alike. You have beautiful specimens! Love seeing all the pics.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aww, some of my dwarfs aren't here yet. I'll have to show them off on Wednesday. ;)

For now though...
H.sp Large

I.mira

I was never sure if A.ezendami were dwarfs or not. Some stuff I read said 4 inches and others said 5.
Nice pics, 4" and up, is not a dwarf - general consensus.