Dune Scorpion (Smeringus mesaensis)

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone know anything about this species? I handle my Emps .. Im looking for a small species to maybe keep on sand .. I also like the Florida bark scorps but hear they can be nasty .. any ideas? thanks

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The S. mesaensis tends to be more hot headed than C. gracilis in aggressive nature. Centruroides have more of a tendency to run while S. mesaensis will more prone to stand and attack. I kept one of this species for a very short while (sold him after 1.5 weeks) and he was definitely mean, but not all others may be quite as bad as he was. Not recommended as a handleable scorpion at all. You can ask Bill (Invertepet) about these guys. He gets them often and should have more info on their temperment than I.

adios,
edw. :)

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I have never kept one but from what I have heard their attitude is more aggressive/defensive than that of either H.arizonensis or H.spadix and they are both know to generally have a bit of an attitude. That said, S.mesaensis is prob not something you want to handle...though if stung the venom is fairly mild...though it would still hurt like hell. Most desert species are know to have some attitude...deserts are tough places to live.

John
];')

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're somewhat defensive, but I place H. spadix higher than these on the 'defense-o-meter'.

I'd rather get stung by spadix, tho - from what I hear, these little guys pack a bit of a punch. Not life-threatening, but painful and mildly neuro-oriented.

bill

jeffman

Arachnopeon
New guys

I just got mine today , and man from what I can tell . They wouldn't hesitate to pop you a few times before you pulled your hand away . Talk about fast ! I dropped one in and he quicky disappeared . I Had no idea they could burow so quick . Can't wait to see if they get active tonight .

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I definately wouldnt handle these guys. They are insanely fast and very defensive/aggressive. The day I got mine I dropped him in his new home and he did about 5 laps around the tank faster than any scorp I have owned while in the striking position. He didnt seem too happy.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive been looking into these and im thinking of geting one after i get a little more experence.

arachnidsrck

Arachnopeon
S. mesaensis was actually my first scorp, and i'm only 13, i got two, and all i did was put 1-2" of sand in a 10 gallon tank ( although you can go smaller ) with a hide, and big stick for it to get closer to the heat if it wants, and a 50 watt heat lamp, with a water dish that i fill up about once every month, b/c they get most of their moisture from the crix/mealies/roaches they eat. They are LIGHTNING fast, and deffensive, but mine run instead of stay and defend ( they prolly know they don't have a chance, lol ) and IMO they are nicer than an emp, or atleast mine anyways, hope this helps, OH and i put a little cactus in each one for a little realistic decor. :D

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
arachnidsrck said:
S. mesaensis was actually my first scorp, and i'm only 13, i got two, and all i did was put 1-2" of sand in a 10 gallon tank ( although you can go smaller ) with a hide, and big stick for it to get closer to the heat if it wants, and a 50 watt heat lamp, with a water dish that i fill up about once every month, b/c they get most of their moisture from the crix/mealies/roaches they eat. They are LIGHTNING fast, and deffensive, but mine run instead of stay and defend ( they prolly know they don't have a chance, lol ) and IMO they are nicer than an emp, or atleast mine anyways, hope this helps, OH and i put a little cactus in each one for a little realistic decor. :D
yea they really sound cool, i love how some ive seen if pics have that almost transparent look. Where did you get yours? Do you have any pics of the tank or scorpions?

-dan

arachnidsrck

Arachnopeon
MEXICOYA415 said:
I got mine at http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/order.html
They have great prices, and expert packaging. Plus Darrin is really helpful in answering any q's you might have.
yea that is where i got mine from to, although one was a DOA and i had to pay for shipping AGAIN, that kind of sucket, but yeah i have a few pics, and they are only transparent when the moult, they are actually more of a yellow-brown color, here are they pics {D

those 3 are after one of the 2 moulted, here is a pic of it before it moulted

here is a pic of the setup, you cant see it but there is a heat lamp, and i was recently told that my setup was too big for my scorps at the size they are, so now they are in ziploc containers until they get a little bigger :D

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow thanks for all the pics! so hows a 10g(or would a 5g be better) for 1? looks like i would need sand, a hide, and a clime. what temp does everyone keep them at? what do you use to heat? thanks

dan

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice set up. I have mine in a 20 gallon split, with a H. arizonensis on the other side. Except mine is like a clearish yellow not too much color at all except for the claws that have a hint of brown. Srry no pics. I'm too lazy to figure all that out.:cool:

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JungleGuts said:
wow thanks for all the pics! so hows a 10g(or would a 5g be better) for 1? looks like i would need sand, a hide, and a clime. what temp does everyone keep them at? what do you use to heat? thanks

dan
I use a heat lamp with a red bulb. I keep them both at around anywhere from 85 to 100 f. At night I turn off the light and let it drop to about 65 f.

arachnidsrck

Arachnopeon
JungleGuts said:

dan
the only reason i dont have mine in the 10 gal right now is b/c they are only 2-3" at the moment and it "stresses" them out, i dont keep a thermometer in any of my tanks but they live in the dessert where it can go past 100 during the day and drop into the low 60's at night, so during the day i just use a 50 watt red heating lamp, and at night they dont get any heat.

jeffman

Arachnopeon
Poor Little one

I have no idea what happened but one of my dunes has a Telson missing . No evidence of stinger left . Has anyone ever had a scorp with a missing telson ?
Can it eat without it and will she regenerate ina molt ? I'm afraid to try to feed I don't want crickets munching on it . Other then that she seems to have excavated a hide under a brick I have in with her . Man I hope she'll be ok , I feel like she lost her telson due to my own stupidity .