Dune Scorp Breeding in Captivity.

lilhildy

Arachnopeon
Starting a small dune scorp breeding effort here on the East Coast. I have bread 2 females in the past... both yielding over 30-40 offspring each and sold off the offspring. This new project should yield alot more! Let me know if you are interested in 2nd instars... I wont sell them prior to that because i want to assure that my scorps are solid before sale.

I just added 7 more breeders to my collection... breeding is evident... my dune scorp collection is now up to 9 total; 2 already preggo. Enjoy the pics.

Since i have breed two females in the past with great success; i feel pretty confident but if you have dune scorp breeding tips please share. I'll gladdly share offspring for offspring with fellow dune scorp breeders; for mixing blood line purposes! Born and bred captive is the only way to go. Let the wild be wild!

I will addmit that my collection of breeders is mostly wild caught but they are only captured from commercial property from which I have close relations (even though i am on the west coast my carreer is mostly west coast) where if not relocated by myself they would have been exterminated. Making friends with hotels in or near deserts pays off huge!!! They just want them gone... whether dead or alive they don't care... mostly they go for dead! I havent nor will I ever go into the desert to do anything other than find, photogragh and document in order to improve my captive environments to increase breeding success. I know i am not the only arachno fan on the east coast who loves these guys but i am looking to be a main supplier.

Aracho-phreak,
Lilhildy

Last edited:

lilhildy

Arachnopeon
Sorry, having problems posting pics.. will post pics of past and present once i am home again. (hopefully monday.)

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
Let me know if you are interested in 2nd instars... I wont sell them prior to that because i want to assure that my scorps are solid before sale.
I'll probably be interested in a few, when they're ready.

Are they communal?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hear theyre not communal; at all, as they eat everything.

i'd ask sarcastro. i know the guy personally, and he answers pm's. he has bred these successfully in captivity as well

lilhildy

Arachnopeon
so far in my experience... keep em well fed in sexed pairs they do fine but miss a feeding and they go hungry... yeah one will be missing.;P AKA loved you yesterday but today you look like lunch.

Also, through hind sight... they are extremely humidity sensitive... keep em dry. One drop of water and they will black spot and die. :embarrassed:

lilhildy

Arachnopeon
Dessicaria: i have one female that seems to be preggo... or had way to much too eat. Not sure yet but will keep you posted. If you plan to keep them together get a huge tank... as in at least 2-3ft per scorp and hides placed appropriately to allow 2-3ft of roam room per scorp. Its risky but as long as you feed on a regular basis you should be okay. Miss a feeding though and they will hunt each other down 2 out of 10 times.:embarrassed:

Yeah, second to A. australis... Dunes are my true love. Shhh... don't tell my GF. ;)

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
One drop of water and they will black spot and die
... My desert hairy has a single black spot on its side... quite small... what does this mean? Is it goin to die?