Dumbest Advice From People Who Don't Own Ts?

Dawsy14

Arachnopeon
I get this one a lot... since when can you order a spider from Poland (spidersworld.EU) and get it shipped. A lot of people get baffled loool!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Since when do you have to explain why you have a pet anyway? Why do I have a spider well why do people have birds? Why do people have cats? They don't serve any purpose since there aren't any police cats or seeing eye cats last I checked.
Well to be fair there is a huge difference between cats and T's. T's don't come and sit with you while you watch TV or play with a toy mouse. But none of this invalidates keeping T's.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well to be fair there is a huge difference between cats and T's. T's don't come and sit with you while you watch TV or play with a toy mouse. But none of this invalidates keeping T's.
I use the equation with fish. Fish can't be cuddled, only swim around and look pretty. Spiders...move sometimes and look pretty.
Of course, the reply is that spiders don't look pretty to which I reply that beauty is subjective. End of discussion, usually.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Maybe I should take one of my spiders for emotional support when I go to the supermarket. I bet my E.pachypus and I share a lot of the same emotions while we are waiting in line for 15 minutes because someone thinks it is okay to place your trolley in line and then go get the groceries.
I impulse bought a scorpion yesterday and after I walked out with it realized I had to stop at another store on the way home. It's just now getting warm here and I wouldn't risk leaving it in the car even for a few minutes. I just put the critter keeper in a plastic shopping bag and tried to play it cool. Luckily, no one asked about it, but I was prepared to argue my case. Imagine if a security guard had asked to see in the bag as I left though... Lol.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Shouldn't you put it in the window so it can get some sun?
This can't be real. Made me laugh so much though.

'you're not letting them run around freely in the house are you?'
This one is golden also, "You keep them locked in cages all the time and don't let them run about for exercise? That is cruel"

I also love the handle them so they become friendly one.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Therapy cats. Not sure what it is called again, but there are people taking animals with them anywhere in the US under the license that they are there for emotional support or something? Not seeing eye dogs or medical issue-dogs, but literally rabbits or chickens or ponies.

Maybe I should take one of my spiders for emotional support when I go to the supermarket. I bet my E.pachypus and I share a lot of the same emotions while we are waiting in line for 15 minutes because someone thinks it is okay to place your trolley in line and then go get the groceries.
So oddly enough when I got my P sp. machala, it was really hot out, like 82F in April. And I absolutely needed several things from the grocery store and the people with me didn’t want to go home first from the reptile show so we went to the grocer and since it wasn’t safe to leave the T in the car, my mother put the sling’s container in the bottom of her purse. So we just walked around, like you do, with a baby T whilst buying milk and eggs! Very odd and almost surreal experience to be sure!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But heights aren't alive so you can't kill them. I used to be afraid of spiders, but I think people should at least learn to not senslessly kill (or ask someone to kill) a completely harmless animal.
You are asking too much from an inferior species.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Therapy cats. Not sure what it is called again, but there are people taking animals with them anywhere in the US under the license that they are there for emotional support or something? Not seeing eye dogs or medical issue-dogs, but literally rabbits or chickens or ponies.

You forgot about emotional support snails (saw one on the news recently)

Minty

@londontarantulas
Not really advice but a relative asked me "Why would you want keep a bunch of spiders?" My answer was "Why WOULDN'T I?" Really, have you ever heard a sillier question in your life? ;)
My Mum asked me the same question, I always say for the same reasons people keep fish.

Dman

Arachnosquire
Don’t be too upset with those people. I used to be one of them and terrified of spiders. I had nightmares that would wake me up from a dead sleep. As a fighter and private contractor violence is my business and one of the 2 things I was afraid of in this world was spiders. I now have 4 I care for and no longer am afraid of them and for the last 3 years no more nightmares at all. I don’t like being afraid of anything and my T’s have a great home :D
There are only two things in the world that scare me and nuclear war is one of them. The other you ask? Carnies, circus folks, nomads really, small hands and smell like cabbage. (Sorry I could not resist an Austin Powers reference there)

Dman

Arachnosquire
What if there is an earthquake? We live in southern California.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Oh I forgot, I bought a cat leash once along with some crickets and the sales person asked obviously jokingly if I was going to take my spider on a walk; then she asked if I let them roam free for exercise time. Maybe she was still joking?

Dman

Arachnosquire
But pet dogs are useless too. Service dogs are different from plain pets dogs.

I read somewhere about rats being used to look for landmines because they're light enough to not set them off. Not sure if it's true or not.
It is true!

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince

Same thing for pet fish. The way that each different species moves around throughout a tank is absolutely mezmerizing...last night I gave my apistogramma some baby brine shrimp for the first time and just watching them hunt was amazing enough.