Dumb @ss Friend

Mike G.

Arachnopeon
My dumb @ss friend blew on my T today and really pissed it off. It is a 6" G. aureostriata. It hasn't shown any agression in the 9 days that I've had it...until now. I tried to handle her about 6 hours after the incident, and she reared up at me.

How long do they stay pissed???

Thanks,
Mike G.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I dont think they tend to hold grudges very long if at all. It may just be grouchy. I tore apart my Suntigers web and i thought she would hate me forever but about 10 mins after I replaced the piece of wood that I had to take out she started fixing it all back up no probs at all. Different situation but u get the idea. I would just give her a couple days to relax. Plus it could have been that at that time she didnt want to be held.

TheDon

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't you just love friends that pull stupid stunts like that. I'm sure it will forgive you in time. Maybe by tomorrow. Sure wouldn't let that "friend" around the T's again.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know. I once had an A. avicularia that was nice until I moved to a different house. He got stressed out over the move and was never nice again. In fact, anytime I had to fiddle with his vivarium, he would striadulate. This never wore off.

Jon

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Mike. There may be other factors to your Chaco's attitude. It may still be going through a bit of an acclimation period which could cause some drama. Other factors that can cause defensiveness are pre-molt, hunger or sometimes even with T's with a reputation for being sweethearts there are individual exceptions. I wouldn't imagine it would stress that long over being blown on but I'm not saying it's impossible.
Hope she calms down soon. Good luck.

Atrax

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i hate it so much when dumbas#es at school shake up the freakin kritter keeper when i take a T into biology class...i ask them why they'd do such an idiotic thing and they say "i wanted to see it move." just plain idiots.

Risto

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Thats when I think i would just turn around and knock their sorry @ss out. I hate stupid people also who dont know that animals need to be treated well. Grr..

TheDon

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by petitegreeneyes
Don't you just love friends that pull stupid stunts like that. I'm sure it will forgive you in time. Maybe by tomorrow. Sure wouldn't let that "friend" around the T's again.
The thing is, I try to blow on as many differnet species of animals as possible, at least once. Just to see how they act. So far none of them have liked it.

Now, let me explain why I do this. Many animals don't seem to be bothered by wind. But they absolutely hate it when you blow on them. I find this very odd, as we are essentially blowing wind whenever we blow on an animal. I think I've amassed enough evidence that blowing is indeed different than wind (as far as animals' perceptions is concerned). from mammals to molluscs, I've never encountered an animal that didn't mind being blown on. So whatever it is they don't klike about it, it must be a reaction that is present throughout most of the animal kingdom.

Now all I have to do is figure out WHY they don't like being blown on. I suspect it's a predator/prey type of thing, and blowing on the animal makes it act as if it is feeling a predator's breath. But, again, how is that any different than wind?

I suspect that the key differnece is that my breath doesn't SMELL like wind. But that raises another question: how do all of the animals that I've blown on know that MY smell is to be feared? Especially if this is a species of animal that rarely has contact with humans.

Or maybe it is the increased carbon dioxide that they don't like. This seems reasonable. But when a person blows on me, I can't sense too much CO2. I find it unlikely that such a sense would be so common throughout most of the animal kingdom, but that we humans are blind to it.

More studies must be performed, certainly.

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Mike,
I swear, the more I'm around people, the more I see what morons they are. My younger sister did that to my pulchra, because she thought she was dead. (by younger, I mean she's 39) What was MY response? I slapped her in the back of the head so hard she yelped.
Give your chaco some time. It'll calm down. Sorry about what your "friend" did.
Peace,
Gillian