Dumb Question On Clamp Lamps

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
O.K. Here goes...............

Stopped in at Walmart yesterday and over in their hardware I found various sizes of clamp lamps, dirt cheap.

So has anyone ever tried to use them before for their snakes? The one that I saw is the same exact size as the ones sold in pet shops. Holds a maximum 150w(type R, PAR-38 or BR) or 200w Type A.

Any ideas?:?

MS6582

Arachnopeon
I use to work at a fish store for many many years, we use to keep red ear sliders as well. We use to heat the turtles in our make shift pond with those clamp lamps from home depot, they are dirt cheap and seem to throw just as much heat so I don't see why you wouldn't use it. I've never had a snake though so not sure if they would be more or less sensitive than the turtles we kept.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
O.K. Here goes...............

Stopped in at Walmart yesterday and over in their hardware I found various sizes of clamp lamps, dirt cheap.

So has anyone ever tried to use them before for their snakes? The one that I saw is the same exact size as the ones sold in pet shops. Holds a maximum 150w(type R, PAR-38 or BR) or 200w Type A.

Any ideas?:?
I think those are the same specifications on my reptile lamp fromt he pshop.. .

So it shouldn't be a problem. If for what ever reason it gives off more heat then you thought, just move it further away :)

Oh what kind of snake?

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank You! I thought so, but I wasn't sure. I have 4 Boa's and 12 Corns. They are so much cheaper than the LPS's. Now I just need to find cheap Heat Mats, lol. Thank You for everyones help!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never used anything BUT cheap clamp lights from Wal-Mart or Lowe's or the local hardware store, and they work just as well as their far-more-expensive counterparts made just for reptiles that you buy at pet shops. Ditto for the water crystals that they sell at Lowe's for house plants-EXACT same thing as the water crystals sold for crickets and other inverts, just minus the food coloring to make them look pretty to humans. I can buy a bag for $12.00 at Lowe's in the Garden Center and it will make dozens and dozens of those little jars they sell at the pet shop for $8.00 each, and my B. dubias do not know the difference.

pitbulllady

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They'll work fine. All the lamps are made for is handling the intense heat and reflection I believe, so not difference except brand and price :D
Thanks for that, PitBullLady, I've been trying to find a cheap alternative to the massively overpriced water crystals. Will check that out soon :)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They'll work fine. All the lamps are made for is handling the intense heat and reflection I believe, so not difference except brand and price :D
Thanks for that, PitBullLady, I've been trying to find a cheap alternative to the massively overpriced water crystals. Will check that out soon :)
It's called "Soil-Moist Granules", by the way, and Lowe's sells it in 1-lb. bags in their Garden Dept. It costs $12.99, but a bag that size will last a long, long time; I've got a colony of probably 5,000 roaches, and they still have not used up the bag I bought back in September! It is the EXACT same thing that is in the cricket crystals, right down to the percentages.

pitbulllady

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What do you feed your roaches to PBL? I've heard of cases of water crystals causing impaction in frogs. Not sure how safe it is for reptiles/other things.(sure it is fine for tarantulas though)

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, now that's long lasting :D
Thanks for the numbers, I've never used any form of crystal before so I was uncertain how long 1 pound would last for a certain amount of roaches, but now I have a good estimate :)
Will pick up a bag for sure!

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use a clamp lamp from walmart made for plants, its a UVB bulb. Its for my chameleon, and it produces just the right amount of heat for her 90-100 degrees on the hot side. She is very healthy and me and my husband monitor the heat gages constantly and its always correct. It cost me a grand total of 13 bucks, with 2 bulbs.

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What do you feed your roaches to PBL? I've heard of cases of water crystals causing impaction in frogs. Not sure how safe it is for reptiles/other things.(sure it is fine for tarantulas though)
I have never used water crystals for anything other than insects, not even for my T's. I feed my roaches a combo of apples, crushed-up cereal, and chick starter, though I've found that they really love the outer "shells" and membranes of pomegranites, too, after I've eaten the seeds. Whatever it is, they are sure thriving...anybody need some B. dubias? I'm trying to get the local fishermen turned on to these things, because Bream absolutely go ape doo-doo over them, and can't tear them apart and take them off the hook piece by piece like they do with crickets, so they have to wind up biting and taking the hook. I got tired of being bitten by crickets and having to listen to the nasty things all night, and the local bait shops stop carrying crickets during the winter months, so when someone offered me a large colony of roaches, I jumped on it, but realize that I might have bitten off a bit more than I can chew(well, not LITERALLY).

pitbulllady

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i meant-what is eating those roaches?(that may have water crystals in there guts etc.)