Dubs not breeding

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We started our first feeder roach (B. dubia) colony a couple months ago. We believe we've had one batch of nymphs since them. Our colony is kept at 75 to 80 degrees constantly. Our male to female ratio is roughly 1:4 and I'm working on weeding out some of the males since my Tokay likes them so much. We have a larger water dish filled with pebbles that little nymphs can't get into and drown. For the nymphs I mist the cage because we've had issues with molting. I can't afford water crystals. I feed them dry dog food as recommended by the person that sold them. I had been feeding them veggies but my fiance is convinced they have pesticides on them (even though they are washed) and my hisser colony has been fine on the same greens. He won't let me feed them anything unless it's organic now. :wall: The colony is pretty much static. We have at least 20 something females in there. Any advice from you guys?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Raise the temps, feed them some citrus and buy some dried water crystal from http://watergelcrystals.com/. They are crazy cheap when you buy them this way. 1/2 pound last like, forever.

Mostly raise the temps and feed citrus though, the crystals just make it easier for you.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks so much everyone! I found kru008's post on how he keeps his dubs so I'll raise the temps to what he has.

MauricesExoticP

Arachnopeon
92°F seems to be about tops for optimum breeding in our experience.

As for water crystals being too expensive, I don't quite understand how. 1oz soaks up an entire gallon of water, so at $1 an ounce your getting around 8.3lbs of hydration. If your able to purchase organic vegetables for less than that, then by all means go ahead and stay with that method of hydration.

Maurice Pudlo

adam s

Arachnopeon
Oranges should do the trick. My temps go from 70's at night to mid 80's during the day and they breed like crazy. Just always have an orange in there with the top cut off and they will breed.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting on the oranges.

I keep my colony at more or less room temperature(so 75-80 during summer and down to high 50's in the winter). Of course most of the babies are born in summer but I did get a batch born recently. All I can say is be patient!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Leila, I had the same problem with my 1st batch of adults. Raising temps helped a bit, but just increasing the number of adults and feeding citrus often seemed to spur on breeding. I keep mine at the temps you stated earlier and usually have fresh nymphs every couple weeks at minimum.