Dubia Roaches

Corpload

Arachnopeon
hello all..

i just want to ask...how often we must clean our dubia's container?

it's kinda dangerous to clean because small nymphs is everywhere, if we clean it, we at the same time will throw away some of the small nymphs.....newly out nyph i mean....

or it's not necessary to clean dubia container often, they will still survive right?

please advice...

Pssh

Arachnoknight
It shouldn't smell unless it's too damp. I clean my colonies once or twice a year. You probably will loose a few babies with the frass unless you are very very careful.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Best to freeze the frass for a few days before dumping it outdoors or even disposing of it in the trash.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
By the time the colony is large enough to really need cleaning, it won't matter if you lose some nymphs.

Also, it shouldn't really stink unless you're giving them too much food and it's rotting. If you're getting mold growth, etc, try adding food/moisture in smaller doses more often.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never cleaned mine out, I guess it's been 4 years now. With pillbugs, decayed leaves, ..smells like normal dirt. I use it as fertilizer in small amounts with potted plants. I use big pieces of bark I peel off logs they hang around on instead of the egg doodads.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I've never cleaned mine out, I guess it's been 4 years now. With pillbugs, decayed leaves, ..smells like normal dirt. I use it as fertilizer in small amounts with potted plants. I use big pieces of bark I peel off logs they hang around on instead of the egg doodads.
I have been using big pieces of bark as well. My Blaberus giganteus seem to be very comfortable with the bark. Im sure it benefits them when they molt.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The post here offers tips on how to separate different size bugs by using buckets with drilled bottom (see post by user 'James'). And it'll make cleaning easy too.