Dubia roaches

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Ok ive been feeding my T's crickets but the issue is that they die easily :mad: and im looking into better food sources.

psykoink

Arachnopeon
Blaptica Dubia are great feeders, provided that your T's will feed off of tongs or tweezers (long ones). Im not saying they wont eat them any other way, but the Dubia tend to freeze when you drop them in and not move very much and then given the chance they will bury themselves. If the T doesnt see it right away they may go uneaten. I used them for a while but feeding younger T's or very nervous ones was becoming frustrating.

I switched over to the Blatta Lateralis and "bang" gone. These roaches are fast, dont bury themselves and entice the T to feed off of rapid movement. They are much smaller then the Dubia and for bigger T's you will have to feed a few more, but since moving over to the Lateralis I no longer have to worry about who eats and who doesnt. They breed very quickly too.

Be careful though, the Lateralis males do fly short distances and the very little nymphs can climb up tub walls (packing tape or vaseline cures that). They are relatively cheap, about $40.00 for 1000 mixed sizes. I started with 100 and in 3 months had about 300, then added another 1000 about 2 months ago and now have 2000. If fed a good diet they stay fat and hold their gut contents for a while. Great nutrition.

My 2 cents anyway. Good luck!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1 for dubias. i've gotten most of my Ts to make the switch, even my slings will eat appropriate sized dubia nymphs. i crush the heads for my Ts that wont tong feed so the dubias don't burrow and most of the time they will move around enough that the Ts notice and grub down.

i didn't buy an actual colony so i'm surprised that their numbers are so easily sustained, especially given that i only have about 10 or so adults i still always seem to have nymphs somewhere in box (but they are not the only feeder i use so that might be partially why).

Sadistic Haplo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dubias or Lats are definatly the way to go. Although if like psykoink they may go unnoticed if you dont tong feed, my G.pulchripes has a permanent B.lateralis room mate. Everynight the roach wanders about. It's been in there for atleast 4 - 5 months.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dubias or Lats are definatly the way to go. Although if like psykoink they may go unnoticed if you dont tong feed, my G.pulchripes has a permanent B.lateralis room mate. Everynight the roach wanders about. It's been in there for atleast 4 - 5 months.
So does my h. mac LOL. That roach has been in there all some and has gotten big. (b. lats).