Dubia roach problems

Cheeka the Spooder

Arachnopeon
Dubia roach keeping is harder than I thought jeez. It's harder than keeping a B. hamorii. First of all, there are about 25 roaches in a 2 by 4-foot container and I don't know if I should have them at this size. Should the container be smaller or bigger. Also, the food I'm giving them molds and rots like there's no checking tomorrow. any suggestions on what I should feed them. Im really strugling with my dubia roaches and my tight schedule because of school so i need to give them some food and put in a container/maybe things to climb on so that i dont have to take care of them so much. Any suggestions or am i just being a lazy idiot.

cold blood

Staff member
Well we really need to see your set up...honestly dubia take care of themselves, they are incredibly easy to keep.

They need hiding places, if they are vertical, the frass will fall to the bottom. Egg crate flats are most commonly used. Food is important, there are certainly things you don't want to feed...not because they wont eat it, but because they rot too quickly. Dubia produce enough moisture that it creates a very humid environment, so if you add foods with too much moisture, like strawberries for example, they will break down before the roaches are done.

Stick to things like sweet potato, carrots and even slices of apple....thinks that over time, just dry up and don't really rot.

I keep things dry, I don't really use substrate...when I do, its dog food, not dirt...but you can't let that get wet.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Smoot plastic bin. Top ventilation.
Egg crate or similar stacked vertically for harborage.
Bare floor.
Dog food, cat food or fish food mixed with rabbit pellets for their dry staple.
Carrots, squash, root vegetables for supplemental dietary nutrition/moisture.
You can use water crystals if you really want but they aren't necessary.
Keep food in dishes and only give them enough veggies as they can finish in five days. Then replace, cleaning dishes each time.
Keep them above 75 degrees.
It's that easy.
Soon you'll be overrun.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I have 60 in an 8 inch by 12 inch tote, I feed em kitchen scraps( fruit and vegetables) keep them at room temp. I haven't had any trouble