Dubia nymphs playing dead

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
Title says it all, few things are as frustrating as watching that stand off "who moves first" that always seems to happen with Dubia nymphs. Was feeding a P. Cambridgei sling tonight and that went on for 5 minutes before I gave up and moved on. Is there anything I can do make the nymphs move and run around?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The spider should still catch it when it eventually moves, but I agree, it's really frustrating to watch that happen. If you poke at them a bit after dropping them in that usually gets them to run around a little bit. Either that or try to tweezer feed your spider.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
You could cut the heads off with scizzors or crush the heads. That way, they can't burrow and will probably act more sparatically. I use S. lateralis roaches instead, since they are very hyper and breed well. They're a better version of crix!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, what @WeightedAbyss75 said - just cut off the heads. It's not prekilling they prey, because they'll still kick for hours (and sometimes days) after losing a head.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I didn't want to start a new thread with the same problem. I am wanting more answers on this topic. I just flung my 3-4" T. Albopilosum about 8 inches up and onto the corner of the enclosure because I used a stick to poke the dubia and it reacted so fast, I had no idea it could move that fast and I jerked. I got it settled back in and it had another standoff with the roach but this time I just put the lid back on and put back on the shelf.

So I moved onto the GBB slings and the pic says it all. I am now so annoyed with Dubia that I would like more options as to what I should start a colony of ? The only problem with red runners is they can infest your house and not that I would let them get out but anything is possible and not sure its worth the rist.

What other options can I use as the main food source for my T's ?

Are hornworms good as the main food source ?

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I didn't want to start a new thread with the same problem. I am wanting more answers on this topic. I just flung my 3-4" T. Albopilosum about 8 inches up and onto the corner of the enclosure because I used a stick to poke the dubia and it reacted so fast, I had no idea it could move that fast and I jerked. I got it settled back in and it had another standoff with the roach but this time I just put the lid back on and put back on the shelf.

So I moved onto the GBB slings and the pic says it all. I am now so annoyed with Dubia that I would like more options as to what I should start a colony of ? The only problem with red runners is they can infest your house and not that I would let them get out but anything is possible and not sure its worth the rist.

What other options can I use as the main food source for my T's ?

Are hornworms good as the main food source ?
There are many other types of roaches that are used as feeders. The green banana roach, the death head roach and probably others. I think Dubias are so common as they are easy to keep and breed like crazy. If you are feeling adventurous you could always start a colony of silk worms. For the smaller T's / slings wax worms are a good choice, even blow flay larvae, maggots can be used purchased from your local fishing tackle store, just don't buy the coloured ones as they are dyed.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
There are many other types of roaches that are used as feeders. The green banana roach, the death head roach and probably others. I think Dubias are so common as they are easy to keep and breed like crazy. If you are feeling adventurous you could always start a colony of silk worms. For the smaller T's / slings wax worms are a good choice, even blow flay larvae, maggots can be used purchased from your local fishing tackle store, just don't buy the coloured ones as they are dyed.
@Dry Desert After I posted this I read a ton of threads about dubia playing dead/dubia in general and found people saying to crush the heads. So, I went to my T room and tried that. I cut the head off instead but it ran when I tossed it in and worked out perfectly. I am going to continue with the colony of Dubia after finding out that works.

I was so annoyed at the time i had posted above as I had just sat down from trying to feed my T's and I do not have the patience for the dubia playing dead, with my T having one leg on top of it. They just sit there like that forever. I had tried poking the one with a skewer stick and my T. Albopilosum reacted so fast, must of grabbed the stick and I jerked. Luckily it only flew up in the air and over about 8 inches onto the top corner of its enclosure. I cupped in and put it back in, waited 10 minutes and tried again. The dubia played dead again w/ the T having a leg on top of it. After that I just put the lid back on and came down and posted above.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
@Dry Desert After I posted this I read a ton of threads about dubia playing dead/dubia in general and found people saying to crush the heads. So, I went to my T room and tried that. I cut the head off instead but it ran when I tossed it in and worked out perfectly. I am going to continue with the colony of Dubia after finding out that works.

I was so annoyed at the time i had posted above as I had just sat down from trying to feed my T's and I do not have the patience for the dubia playing dead, with my T having one leg on top of it. They just sit there like that forever. I had tried poking the one with a skewer stick and my T. Albopilosum reacted so fast, must of grabbed the stick and I jerked. Luckily it only flew up in the air and over about 8 inches onto the top corner of its enclosure. I cupped in and put it back in, waited 10 minutes and tried again. The dubia played dead again w/ the T having a leg on top of it. After that I just put the lid back on and came down and posted above.
Some keepers don't fancy head crushing or cutting off heads, I personally wouldn't bother, to much faffing around. If you are okay with it, go for it.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron

@Dry Desert Are the silkworms you mention the same thing as Hornworms ?