Dubia Allergy Possibility?

James Johnson

Arachnopeon
I recently got Dubia Roaches and I intend to breed them. Whenever I handle them or really just smell their enclosure, my throat starts itching. After doing some research, I found that a common allergy is their frass. Am I allergic? Should I toss them out? Is there anything I can do to prevent more allergic reactions?

James Johnson

Arachnopeon
Well then. Are there any good substitutes for Dubia Roaches? I already have a mealworm colony and detest crickets. I could do silkworms, seeing as I have a mulberry tree, but aren't those more so a treat than anything else?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
probably you better off asking your primary doc in dealing with allergic reactions nodody here is a doc that i know of far as a substitute for roaches what are you planning to feed em to? or are they pets?

James Johnson

Arachnopeon
I was planning on feeding them to my lizard, tarantulas, and big invertebrates. A medium sized, non-mealworm-like feeder.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
theres horn worms they grow big really fast like i bought a cup of inch long ones and they got as fat as a pinky finger and around 2 or 3 inches in a about a week

James Johnson

Arachnopeon
Although I've heard how much animals like them, I feel they suffer from the same nutritional deficit silkworms do.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i only used em once just wasnt worth it buying them to use as feeders only to have them grow to large to usei use mainly super worms still have die off from not feeding em off fast enough i need more grown out ts or just more in general haha

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I'm allergic to mealworms, roaches, and crickets. Probably other things too. I mostly use hornworms and black soldier fly larvae. You can get tiny hornworms for relatively cheap if you get the really small ones and then I stagger feeding them to my various T's by size. I've heard waxworms shouldnt be as bad either. FWIW I'm also allergic to shellfish

James Johnson

Arachnopeon
Well that's good to know. I think I'll try to get my hands on hornworms and BSFL, the latter I've already been thinking of getting for a long time. Thanks!

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Hornworms can get expensive. I bought some for my box turtle who did not want them and they got gross and died super quickly. Super worms would be cost effective and would probably be less of an allergy problem. Many feeders cause some sort of allergy. You can always clean the tub more and try not to inhale or touch the roaches but this doesn’t always work.

James Johnson

Arachnopeon
Would silkworms make a good staple feeder? I have a mulberry tree, so feeding them wouldn't be an issue.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I don’t think you would have any issue but they cost more than most feeders and they are very difficult to breed. They are super good feeders though.