Dubai roach care....

doodledog

Arachnopeon
I have been given a small supply of Dubias with my T order today. I'm not sure if I want to start a colony or not yet, because I'm not sure if my new girl will accept them or prefer a different meal...my primary question is how do you care for the feeder Dubais?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They are vegetarians. Toss in some produce and some sort of shallow water dish. There is roach food that I use in addition to the produce (https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cric...d=1492215387&sr=1-1&keywords=dubia+roach+food) They are very photosensitive and run from the light, so make sure they can get to someplace dark in their enclosure. As long as you're keeping them below about 85 degrees, they can't reproduce.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What works for me is a large, clear, plastic container. Those egg-stuff for hide, no substrate, no water dish. Only fresh, clean veggies (mostly carrots, romaine).

I have roach babies all the year :-s

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are vegetarians. Toss in some produce and some sort of shallow water dish. There is roach food that I use in addition to the produce (https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cric...d=1492215387&sr=1-1&keywords=dubia+roach+food) They are very photosensitive and run from the light, so make sure they can get to someplace dark in their enclosure. As long as you're keeping them below about 85 degrees, they can't reproduce.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with a few things here.

Although you may consider them vegetarians, they eat anything.... And I mean anything :)
Second, I keep mine in a temperature controlled room at 77-79. They breed prolifically, so much so that I can't use them all and I have a large collection of tarantulas.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Btw I love that a lot of people sometimes type 'Dubai' instead of dubia.

UAE Arab oil-powered roaches! :troll:
Hahaha!!!! I just noticed that! Don't know why I typed it that way...In fact, I was saying it all wrong too, live and learn!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with a few things here.

Although you may consider them vegetarians, they eat anything.... And I mean anything :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaptica_dubia

"The Dubia cockroach is a frugivore that prefers fruits and grains[citation needed], shunning such high protein sources as meat or waste droppings from other animals[citation needed]. They particularly like semisweet vegetable matter. Appropriate feed for raising Dubia roaches includes: carrots, all manner of tropical fruits (mangos and papayas), apples, avocados, banana, cherries, pears, oranges, strawberries, fresh corn, tomatoes (some individuals show no interest in tomatoes while others eat readily), and lettuce (not iceberg or romaine)—many other leafy greens will be accepted[citation needed]. All grain-based dry cat/dog food, fish food, crested gecko meal and bearded dragon food can also be used to supplement their diet[citation needed]. They will also eat wheat bran and germ-based food products like assorted breads, non-sweetened breakfast cereals (such as Cheerios or Special K), and even softened pasta, although such diets must be augmented with edible vegetation and fruit of some sort to provide sufficient water"

Second, I keep mine in a temperature controlled room at 77-79. They breed prolifically, so much so that I can't use them all and I have a large collection of tarantulas.
https://dubiaroaches.com/pages/dubia-roach-care-sheet

Although Dubia roaches can survive at room temperature, they require an ambient temperature of 90-95 F to successfully breed, and do best with about 60% humidity.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

"The Dubia cockroach is a frugivore that prefers fruits and grains[citation needed], shunning such high protein sources as meat or waste droppings from other animals[citation needed]. They particularly like semisweet vegetable matter. Appropriate feed for raising Dubia roaches includes: carrots, all manner of tropical fruits (mangos and papayas), apples, avocados, banana, cherries, pears, oranges, strawberries, fresh corn, tomatoes (some individuals show no interest in tomatoes while others eat readily), and lettuce (not iceberg or romaine)—many other leafy greens will be accepted[citation needed]. All grain-based dry cat/dog food, fish food, crested gecko meal and bearded dragon food can also be used to supplement their diet[citation needed]. They will also eat wheat bran and germ-based food products like assorted breads, non-sweetened breakfast cereals (such as Cheerios or Special K), and even softened pasta, although such diets must be augmented with edible vegetation and fruit of some sort to provide sufficient water"

Although Dubia roaches can survive at room temperature, they require an ambient temperature of 90-95 F to successfully breed, and do best with about 60% humidity.
That's what you get when you rely on the Internet.... Real life experience trumps words every time.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I keep dubia roaches too. I guess my real life experience doesn't count.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I can definitively say this is incorrect. I have a small, well it was supposed to be small, dubia colony because of my geckos and aside from the direct vicinity of the gecko tanks, my room never gets above 83F. Especially the dark corner of my closet the roaches are in. I have had this same colony for nearly two years and it started with 500 "small" dubia, 5 adult females and 2 adult males. I have never had to supplement the colony and on many occasions I have seen what can only be described as dubia nymphs.

Everything else you posted was spot on though :) Dubia are phenomenal feeder insects IMO and I honestly can't wait until my Ts can help me thin out my 15-20 adult males I have now :shifty:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
B.dubia are sort of tanks, they are very, very hardy... while indeed they love (and IMO I suggest to offer those) fresh veggies and stuff like not even a vegan screaming in front of a butcher shop, they eat everything.

They are supposed to resist a Fallout/Nuke/Whatnot, after all :-s

obie

Arachnosquire
What about that pet store cricket chow. I think it's made buy flukers how is that for dubia

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
What about that pet store cricket chow. I think it's made buy flukers how is that for dubia
Not sure about that stuff. I feed my colony Repashy Bug Burger and Zoo med Adult Bearded Dragon pellets. For hydration I use Flukers Calcium fortified Cricket Quencher.
Again though, my colony is primarily for my geckos, not Ts. I'm not exactly sure on what type of gut loading is best for T feeders...

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

Eh, Wikipedia isn't a great source of primary information as you know. I have seen adult dubias begin to eat the nymphs if food is scarce. They also absolutely eat decaying animal matter - I tossed in a bolus one time just out of curiosity, and sure enough the nymphs ate it. They absolutely prefer fruits and veggies, no denying that. But to say they "shun" high protein food sources? My dubia get a diet of 100% chick feed. High protein, high fat, and they go crazy for it.

"Require" is a strong word. Mine are kept between 80-85F with humidity approaching 10%. Temperatures absolutely never get to 90F - ever. They breed more than fine.

I say all of this having bred dubia for quite some time, and they are prolific enough for me to be the supplier of a local pet shop on top of me selling on the side. Five separate colonies and tens of thousands of individuals.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I say all of this having bred dubia for quite some time, and they are prolific enough for me to be the supplier of a local pet shop on top of me selling on the side. Five separate colonies and tens of thousands of individuals.
Oh good, more money for Tarantulas and Scorpions then!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

aphono

Arachnobaron
My dubia get a diet of 100% chick feed. High protein, high fat, and they go crazy for it.

Medicated or non medicated? Chick feed comes in all sorts of percentages from 15-22ish. Gamebird/turkey feed usually have higher protein- can be as high as 30% and often are not medicated. Would you go higher/lower or pretty much just grab whatever happens to be on hand...

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Medicated or non medicated? Chick feed comes in all sorts of percentages from 15-22ish. Gamebird/turkey feed usually have higher protein- can be as high as 30% and often are not medicated. Would you go higher/lower or pretty much just grab whatever happens to be on hand...
Definitely non medicated.