Drying out substrate...

Shea

Arachnosquire
I just yesterday bought a B. Smithi and my substrate is pretty damp because it was a dirt brick (Eco earth) that I soaked in water. What's a quick way do dry it ous so my T is comfy?
Thank you

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Iv had that problem. Tilt the container at a steep angle so that the dirt won't fall but all the water will pool at the bottom. Then scoop out the water. Also you could squeze water out. And if neither of those things work then do the other thing I did and take a space heater and two heat lights to it.(I got the temperature to 160 degrees ferenheight.)

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I had that problem recently. After burning some in the oven & microwave( yes the microwave can burn it) I found laying it out on several layers of newspaper it wil dryout in no time at all.
Then I discovered "T REX JUNGLE BED" sold at Petsmart is the same stuff and comes dried !!!

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T REX JUNGLE BED
Ya I use to buy that stuff but I think it costs more. O well now I just buy lowes peat moss: 10 dollars for 50 times more dirt. Forget over priced pet smart.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
  1. Get one or several large garbage bags
  2. Cut bag on two sides to maximize area, and lay them on the floor or large table. Preferably somewhere warm and dry
  3. Spread wet substrate as thin and loose as possible on the garbage bags
  4. Leave overnight
  5. Dry substrate!