Dry climate cleaning crew

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Can anyone recommend a cleaning crew to be used in tanks with about 50-60% humidity, and about 80-85 F. I need something relitevly small that will be ignored by scorpions and Ts

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Do T enclosures really need cleaning crews?
The really humid ones do, yes. Well, not need. But I got really sick of mold outbreaks.

I wouldn't mind a cleanup crew in my drier enclosures, so I'm looking forward to an answer on this one.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I was wondering this as well. Don't really need it but it'd be nice to have a clean up crew that can clean around the gbb webbing without disturbing anything. I wonder if they would get stuck though.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Blue and Black death feigning beetles are 100% safe from harm when kept with Hadrurus arizonensis I know and they clean up after the scorp quite well, mine lived with an adult male H. arizonensis for over a year and were fine. Also springtails are good with Tarantulas and scorpions that live in damp enclosures or even drier enclosures provided a corner or side is kept wet.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I believe zebra pill bugs (armadillidium maculatum) are a species of isopod that prefer a little drier climate than other isopods, but that is all I can think of. It would be awesome to see them in with a T or scorp since they are gorgeous :D Most clean up crews (especially isopods) have gills and breathe through moisture in the substrate, so it's difficult in a drier climate. Other than death feigning beetles that work with limited species, the best bet is keep a corner wet like @dragonfire1577 was saying and they can thrive like that.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I add springtails when one of the species that needs dry substrate tips the waterdish again. I apply them locally, so to speak. But when the spot is dry again, the springtails disappear as well.